Cali Kid Corals

Invasive sponge?

Well, this sucks. I have a white sponge that somehow got into my system and it’s on all my base rocks. Starting to really grow fast and is already pissing off my acans.
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg

Am I doomed or is there hope? I’ve never dealt with sponge issues. In fact they usually just melt away in my systems.

Maybe time to go ULNS for a bit?

There’s no way to remove these rocks without tearing down the entire tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be able to siphon it out relatively easy. Manual removal as much as possible I’d say. Do you run carbon? If not maybe run some. May help starve them

Those usually aren't really hard to pull off/scrub with a toothbrush. I'm guessing they wouldn't be particularly tolerant of a few mL of H2O2, kalk paste, etc. being injected in to them either. Toothbrush method they'll show up elsewhere in the tank, but it isn't as if you're likely to eradicate them in any case (nor do you necessarily want to, just get them away from that coral).

Thanks. I haven’t ran csrbon in s few months.

I may have to run carbon and siphon out. This is going to be a chore [emoji2959]

I doubt it will take more than 90 seconds to remove 90% of the sponge, they are really fragile. I'm curious what carbon would do, but I've never personally seen a correlation in the past. Haven't been looking for one either though. I think I know more people with heavy sponges who do run carbon, but I suspect that's because a large percentage of the serious reef folks tend to run carbon, and also tend to have conditions that benefit many life forms.

I just know sponges are filter feeders, so maybe carbon will reduce something they are feeding on. Also, when ripping sponges, and more or less anything, apart and out I find it a good idea to run some carbon to mitigate any nasties being released.

As an update. I reduced the amount of phyto and other high nutrient foods I was feeding and the sponge is receding.

I still feed the tank 4-5 times a day though. Just less stuff mixed in the food.

Interesting never seen that kind of sponge i once had a stringy type
I didn’t want to chance it so i threw out the rock

Its growing in direct light so that’s a bit different

Back