Cali Kid Corals

Is my indo acan spawning or is it pissed off?

So the girlfriend was checking out the tank tonight and called me over to it. She's yelling one of the corals is spewing out brown stuff. The tank move went pretty bad and I'm losing a few SPS but tonight it was LPS. I go over and check it out and I see brown wispy blobs literally shooting out of my Indo Acans mouths. I immediately think it's pissed off and spewing the stuff mushrooms spew out when they are pissed but as I watch I notice it is really projecting this stuff out and all of the heads are taking turns doing it. Video is uploading now, here's some pictures of the stuff, it's scattered throughout that corner of the tank.

All those brownish spots, strings are the stuff it's shooting out.
IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

I was able to make it shoot more by shading it slightly with my arm for about a minute and then moving it.

Thoughts?

Wow Jay, that is amazing! I've never seen anything like that before. I'm going to take a swing at it anyways, and guess it is spawning.

The photos look like my A. echinata does after a heavy feed. Poo? Let me see the video.

Yeah, I thought I had killed it the first time it did this as it then deflated and sat flat for a day.

Did you change the feeding with the tank move?

Appears to be a waste product to me except for the velocity in which it ejects is more like spawning......hmmm.............

John

tuberider said:
It looks to be expelling its zooxanthellae, it's a sign of stress.
This is originally what I thought, but I didn't know it occurs that quickly! I usually see it as something slowly being released from the coral. But holy cow! Is that what mushrooms are doing (putting out brown stuff = expelling zoox) as well when they're stressed out Jeremy? Or are they something else?

Hmm, I think the brown stuff might be zooxanthellae as well. If it was sperm, I think it should have been whitish in color. If it was eggs, I think it should have been buoyant and floated to the surface. I am just basing this on all the National Geographic type coral spawning videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDJvhgPn8o

pslee said:
Hmm, I think the brown stuff might be zooxanthellae as well. If it was sperm, I think it should have been whitish in color. If it was eggs, I think it should have been buoyant and floated to the surface. I am just basing this on all the National Geographic type coral spawning videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDJvhgPn8o

Not all sperm in white and not all eggs float :)

Well that sucks... :(

I was thinking along the same lines of Anthony; it was shooting this stuff out, I thought it would try to expel slowly if it was stressed, it must have been really pissed off. :(

I had corals that for years and showed now other stress signs. My scolys did it like clock work. Once I took that tank down I haven't had it happen in any other of my tanks.

The colony looks great, nice and fluffy during the day, hungry and ready to eat with tentacles extended at night, seems really happy.

Back