Neptune Aquatics

Is there a reason why I shouldn't get the Canon EOS Rebel XTi??

Looking to buy a new camera. I like Canon. Any reason why I shouldn't get this model??
What is a good camera to get for $800 or under (including tax :D)??

XTi's are good.

But I'll play devil's advocate for you so you can make your decision:

1. One thing I don't like is that they come with a silver and black body =P I personally like black bodies so they don't reflect off any surface at all, but even in black it's not 100% non reflective. But silver? I think it defeats the purpose and shows it's less than professional, even though you can get awesome pictures out of it.

2. The shutter sound is like an electrical squeek, while the 30D, 40D, 5d, are like, CATCHUCK! The electric squeek sounds kind of... well... lame. That's just the sound though, lol! I love my D80's crack when the shutter hits. It's so satisfying, sounds like you just REALLY took that picture. The Nikon D2H also sounds badass when shooting at 8fps? So get into the 30D + models of canon to get that real nice many click.

3. From what I hear, the layout of buttons etc. is quite different than the 30D and up. So comparing and getting help from 30D + people may be a little more difficult, whilst someone with a Nikon D2X can help someone with functions of a D200, D80, etc. (what are they at now? D300 D3 etc?)

But really, otherwise, they're awesome =)

I picked up a used Canon 30d off of KEH.com for $950 shipped. This camera is barely used with less than 200 actuations. :) Check them out for a good deal.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DC029990791600&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=&item=20&ActivateTOC2=&ID=60&BC=DC&BCC=3&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

here is a 20d for $665.00

Get the 20d instead. Its pretty much the same camera just an older version. The Sensor on the 30d is just a little better than the 20d.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2488.msg25616#msg25616 date=1191996958]
I wish I have $ to get the D30. It's just too much for me :(.
[/quote]

If you want the 30D, and can't afford it now, I say wait if you can.

It's a good idea to get what you want on the first try, if you get the XTi, and you've always wanted the 30D, you won't be that happy with it, and you probably won't go shooting as much. You'll always have the excuse that it's just the XTi, and you're waiting for the 30D one day.

The 20D is also very good, but the 30D sensor is really nice IMO, enough to wait for.

Between the 20D and the 30D, there isn't a significant different. From the 20D to the 40D, there's a nice leap in technology and sensor development.

If you don't mind used, D200 are hitting the blocks at some outrageously low prices. I've seen some w/high count actuations go for $800 and lower count ones at around the $900 mark. Used 20D with low actuations are around the 650 mark also...

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2488.msg25632#msg25632 date=1192059827]
36D? They're already onto the 40D. You missed it!
[/quote]

Darn !!! nobody got the joke :D :D

Anyway am looking at this package http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/cn30d18552slgb4.htm and wondering if these lenses are any good

;D that's funny Tom ;D

I compare the 30D and 40D and the 40D has a lot more stuff. The question is do I need all those ?? ;D

BTW, what is low actuations?

eventually you'll probably use all of that stuff, but that's only if you're seriously learning how to use it by going out and trying to shoot. I have a D80, and I'm continuously thinking "how do I do ____." Then I go home, and read the manual, and figure out what cool new functions my camera has to help me do "____".

So you'll never know how far it'll take you, but if you never have those options, and you find yourself wanting them, you'll regret not waiting on it.

Right now I'd like to get a D300 for more focus points =(

I decided to keep my ~$1000 limit for now. I went to Cosco last night and saw these two packages. Which one is better?

Nikon D40X, 18-55 and 55-200VR lens, bag and 1GB memory - $949.99

Canon Rebel XTi, 18-55 and 75-300 lens, bag and 1GB memory - $939.99

Good price or too expensive?? (thing I like about Cosco is you have life time warranty ;D)

Hmm...

I'd personally get a Nikon D40x body only, then get a Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII. You'll never need to switch lenses. I believe Sigma has an 18-200mm out as well for cheaper, with their own vibration reduction (OS?).

Back