Kessil

Is Tropic Marin Pro-Reef worth the extra money?

seminolecpa

Past President
Used to use NSW but have been using Oceanic for about my last 100 gallons or so. I have been reading some not so good stuff about Oceanic and I am considering switching. I have never been on to skimp when it comes to my tank as I figure a few extra dollars is worth it if the results are there. That said, is it really worth the extra money or am I just being paranoid.

Secondly, is it fine to buy in bulk and store? I have only been buying 50 gallons of mix at a time as I only have a 58 gal so I am only using about 5 gallons a week for my water changes.

Lastly, is there a good place locally that sells it? I would prefer to buy locallyif the prices are reasonable comparable to what I could get it on line for.

My tank inhabitants are 90% SPS corals with a few LPS corals and 2 small clowns.

I use Oceanic for awhile now and have never had any problems. Theres going to be bad posts about all of the slat mixes. I remember when IO was being bad mouthed for something. I buy 200g buckets of it for my 95g tank. I change out 30g every 2 weeks. Dr fosters is not charging for weight on the salt any more so I just bought some from there.

I use a mix of IO and Oceanic with no problems. I also buy in 200g buckets which last me a few months each, so as along as you put the lid back on tightly, storage shouldn't be a problem.

If I could find TM Pro in the Bay Area, I'd like to give it a try, but I've never seen it being sold at an LFS or heard of anyone else who has had success in buying it locally. Regular Tropic Marin salt is sold at various LFS's.

Hammerhead, if you're ever up in SF, there's an LFS (which will remain unamed) that sells IO and Oceanic for less than the online places even with the free shipping and lack of weight surchages. Might be worth a trip for you if you buy a few buckets at a time.

HTHs

I use IO. I'm near the bottom of the bucket now, and I have to chip away at it, since it's as hard as a rock. I guess I didn't put the lid back on properly or something. Man, chipping away salt is a major pain in the butt!

However, the bucket of salt is generally always a better deal than the 50G (worth) bags. Yout get to keep the bucket as well!

I wonder if the old trick of putting a piece of bread (or a bag of rice) in the salt container would help? (The "trick" is that you put rice in your table salt shaker to prevent it clumping, and you put bread in your brown sugar container to prevent it from becoming a giant lump).

V

Back