High Tide Aquatics

[January 16, 2016] Introduction to Aquarium Photography Workshop

I just ordered an orange filter for my camera. Thanks for the class Ender. I was surprised how much of a difference the filter makes.

Big Thanks to @Enderturtle !

The class was a great overview of the factors of good photography and some interesting ideas about improving it: color filters, submersible camera tubes, maybe HDR or post-processing. Big thanks to CA Reef Co for sharing their space, it was a nice side room that fit all of us in. I wish I had room for more corals or fish in our tank, it's too tempting being in the store.

It's great to catch up with folks in the club and fun to think about another aspect of the hobby.

I'm a camera dummy, so the presentation was very informative to me.
Thanks EnderTurtle for volunteering your time and huge effort. Hopefully, I can remember most of what I learned.

Out of curiosity is there a recommended orange filter to get? Seems there is a wide variety of them available on Amazon, ranging from $8 each to around $25/ea. Not sure if there is a distinction.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tiffen and B&W are pretty good brands. You tend to get what you pay for. If you're not all that concerned about image quality and are more concerned with getting the colors filtered then the cheap ones do the job.

Tiffen and B&W are pretty good brands. You tend to get what you pay for. If you're not all that concerned about image quality and are more concerned with getting the colors filtered then the cheap ones do the job.
I would opt for the better one myself. I got a cheap neutral density filter and it has a definite color cast to it.

These orange filters are used in black and white photography to bring more contrast. #16 orange provides a medium contrast #21 is dark contrast. I'm not 100% sure how this changes for aquarium photography.

These orange filters are used in black and white photography to bring more contrast. #16 orange provides a medium contrast #21 is dark contrast. I'm not 100% sure how this changes for aquarium photography.
I have seen mentions of the orange filters effectively shifting the color temperature warmer. So I can see how this would help taking the picture.

I've always been able to take reasonable photos providing I shoot in raw and post process. I guess I'd need to experiment to see which results in better photos.

For me I use an orange gel filter with my camera phone for quick pics that I dont care about.

If im using the dslr, I shoot with no filter and then post process in lightroom.

Using filters will cut down the amount of light that your camera gets.

The b+w #16 orange filter will drop your exposure 1.3 stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back