Reef nutrition

Jawbreaker Mushrooms

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I last posted. I've been pretty busy since my wife got pregnant and our daughter was born. We have Jawbreakers pretty much infesting our tank so I took some pictures to share here. Enjoy!

At a later point in time, I'll be posting up a For Sale thread to sell some of these Jawbreaker mushrooms that we have so if you're interested in having one (or a few), be sure to keep your eyes peeled there!

Link

Wow. You really should start selling them a few at a time right now. If you wait too long the price will be going down because they aren’t rare anymore. But also if you try to sell 200 locally all at once you won’t get top prices because you’ll drive the whole market down.

If you get typical prices for them you could have enough to pay for a big chunk of your daughter’s college in a 529 plan lol. More important than painting her room pink or just about anything else you’d be doing for her this year!

I still do not understand how you made that happen. I’ve been wanting to try the blender method, I just don’t want to risk my 1 jawbreaker lol

If you cut the foot it will grow a new one. I don’t mean cut in half. Just a slide cut. Sort of like a paper cut for humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cut the foot it will grow a new one. I don’t mean cut in half. Just a slide cut. Sort of like a paper cut for humans.

I’ve read jawbreakers are finicky and won’t re-attach if you damage the foot. I just don’t have the cojones to try lol

I’ve read jawbreakers are finicky and won’t re-attach if you damage the foot. I just don’t have the cojones to try lol

The way I saw didn’t involve detaching it.
I lost a mushroom because it won’t attach again. Never trying that again!

If you cut a piece of the foot off from a Yuma mushroom it will definitely grow another mushroom. I have not tried it with discoma mushrooms though.

Believe me, I’ve cut up those stripey green beastly shrooms into tiny, multiple pieces, and almost all regrow extremely fast. The jawbreaker just looks different than most shrooms with the color and bumpy texture, and grows very slowly. I just feel like maybe they aren’t as indestructible as some shrooms. They are still extremely hardy, just not sure how well they can take a blade

I don't think they look that different from other discosomas in terms of texture. I have a bright red disco and and pink disco that have pretty much the same bumpy surface. In terms of hardiness, I've torn baby jawbreakers off rock and they've been just fine. I think we tend to coddle the corals that cost more, but there's really no scientific reason to do so.

Back