Our mission

Jeff's 120

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4762.msg77210#msg77210 date=1233110689]
hmm....build an LED spot light for the clam :D
[/quote]

So is that a no on a 250 W 20K Radium penetrating 30" of water well enough for a clam?

It's all about that needle valve. Not sure if you can replace it not. Quality needle valve shouldn't do what you are experiencing.

[quote author=Vento link=topic=4762.msg77213#msg77213 date=1233111498]
It's all about that needle valve. Not sure if you can replace it not. Quality needle valve shouldn't do what you are experiencing.
[/quote]

Feared as much.... the one I have here is a little piece of plastic... It acts like a rough operating ball valve and I need a smooth gate valve to dial it in. The regulator I have is supposedly able to dial in at a steady 10 bubbles a minute and it does.... it just does not stay there.

Can you rip out the pos you have now and replace it? If not you can just open it 100% and then put in a good needle valve. And if want fine control of flow you will use needle globe valve. Way better than a ball, gate, or butterfly.

Check out ryanherco, Sunnyvale swagelok, or windustrial. If you can't find what you need call them and tell them what fitting you need and then you can just buy with a CC and will call it.

And if you still need some help let me know and I'll dee what I can do for yah.

ok... so I think I have the regulator figured out and dialed in for the 10 bubbles a minute I'm going for. It's a dual regulator with a built in needle valve that I was not getting. Had it wide open... tried to use the plastic piece of crap the CR came with... tossed it and then tried to adjust it by adjusting pressure after the first gauge (second gauge nob). been monitoring for over an hour and it is keeping steady. The effluent drip rate is still an SOB with this dinky little gate valve... need something that I can tune with more accuracy.

[quote author=Vento link=topic=4762.msg77237#msg77237 date=1233119339]
...And if want fine control of flow you will use needle globe valve. Way better than a ball, gate, or butterfly.

Check out ryanherco, Sunnyvale swagelok, or windustrial. If you can't find what you need call them and tell them what fitting you need and then you can just buy with a CC and will call it.

And if you still need some help let me know and I'll dee what I can do for yah.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I need for to control the effluent drip rate. Right now the tinest fraction of movement goes from turning the flow off to 60+ drips a minute. I'll check those guys out... what exactly do I need to ask for? Needle Globe Valve... size or anything else? Thanks man...

Here's the little SOB I'm trying to adjust my effluent drip rate with... Where's a Korallin rep when you need one....

3232714257_7c8f2e8730_b.jpg

FYI that is not a gate valve. What you are looking at is a butterfly or ball valve. Can't really tell by just the pic you have there. But my guess is butterfly. Anyways like I said over the phone 1/4" Marquest Needle valve should do the trick. The valve has female NPT so you are going to need some fitting to go from NPT to hose barb.

Yep... it's not a gate valve... I mistyped earlier with the gate comment. I'm pretty sure it's a butterfly also.

So checking out the Marquest Needle Valve... $35 for the 1/4" version plus the two NPT to hose barb adaptors.
3235487990_c53f5dab4d_o.jpg

http://webcat.ryanherco.com/products/250/110/110/250110110.cfm

I also found this one that in it's description is specific about "Metering: Allows for fine regulation, from drops per minute to full flow" but is $50 for the 1/4" version
The Hayward Needle Valve
3235488024_185d76ff56_o.jpg

http://webcat.ryanherco.com/products/250/120/110/250120110.cfm

What do you guys think? Is it worth going for the Hayward. Is there a "MUCH" cheaper way of going about this that will give me the precision control I need?

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=4762.msg77212#msg77212 date=1233110778]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4762.msg77210#msg77210 date=1233110689]
hmm....build an LED spot light for the clam :D
[/quote]

So is that a no on a 250 W 20K Radium penetrating 30" of water well enough for a clam?
[/quote]

bump?

I would say that it would depend on the clam. Different clams have different light demands. Probably ok on the lower light clams with a good reflector paired to the radium.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4762.msg77430#msg77430 date=1233254953]
I would say that it would depend on the clam. Different clams have different light demands. Probably ok on the lower light clams with a good reflector paired to the radium.
[/quote]

right on.... I'm considering adding a 400W MH in the middle of the two 250W's... should remove any issues here.

I'm looking for needle valves too. I found those same valves at plasticdepots.com, and they have online ordering.

http://plasticdepots.com/c-1449-angle-needle-valves.aspx

Jeff, what did you figure out for connecting flexible tubing to pipe thread? It looks like you have some sort of compression fitting there?

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4762.msg77467#msg77467 date=1233267301]
I'm looking for needle valves too. I found those same valves at plasticdepots.com, and they have online ordering.

http://plasticdepots.com/c-1449-angle-needle-valves.aspx

Jeff, what did you figure out for connecting flexible tubing to pipe thread? It looks like you have some sort of compression fitting there?

[/quote]

is the price any better on them at plasticdepots?

I haven't figured out yet how i'm going to take the pipe thread to the flex tubing.... need to do some more searching.

I doubt it is cheaper, but http://www.swagelok.com/ ....I use tons of their stuff and it rocks. Yu'll need to contact a distributor to find out the price of an item.

If it says swagelok I'd be willing to bet not cheaper. They have awseome stuff and that's we primarily use for metal tubing at work, but that's the company money not mine. I just afford to use their stuff.

So I'm a little aggravated this morning. Last night I came home to find my green hammer had stretched itself out about 4" further than I have ever seen it do in my frag tank and was all over my brown acro frag (grown from ½” to 3”).... which is now a white stick. I'm going to move the hammer back over into my softy tank over the weekend I think. The frag was nothing special but has been my litmus test SPS for almost a year now and was seeing some nice growth. Fortunately everything else is looking really good right now… coloring up nicely. This is the second coral I’ve lost this year… the first being a pink carnation I was only able to keep healthy for about 6 months…. Went downhill quickly and I discovered it had a pair of aptasia at its base that was stinging it… never recovered.

So I don't have a controller at this point. Probably going to go with the RKE later this year but am waiting for a few updated modules to come out first along with some more kinks that need to be unwrinkled as I understand it. Will also give me some time to save up the doe I will need to get one and use it correctly... several modules will be needed.

So this is a Word doc that I put together a while back with charts linked to excell data entry sheets in order to track my perameters and act as a month to month aquarium journal. I have one blank version of this for each month of the year. Now that we are getting to the close of this month this guy is starting to look like something. I hate writing things down on paper because I always loose it and this has been something that is easy for me to use and it has not been a PITA to keep up to date. I've been testing daily for the month of January and will probably continue to do so through the end of February. At that point I will probably only test most things once a week. pH, Salinity and Temp will continue to be constantly monitored. Thought I would share this....

3239435385_65c483644f_b.jpg

3240274826_e03a7ed6ca_b.jpg

3240276810_8331fd186b_b.jpg

3239432101_f70cb23542_b.jpg

3239433553_7b2a231881_b.jpg

Back