Cali Kid Corals

Just found dinoflagellates, anyone with experience?

neuro

Webmaster
I just finished battling green cyano, and realized now I have small patches of dinoflagellates starting to develop. I'm not sure who I got it from, but I have an idea.

Bubbles, brown sludge like hairs.

They're multiplying fast as hell. Can't keep up with the manual removal. I've read how people are stopping water changes to raise their nitrates, or using hydrogen peroxide.

Can anyone confirm? Has anyone had problems?

Lol, I was about to reply... yeah! I'm probably one of those rare guys why was successful battling dino ;) If its sure dino, I can feel ur pain!
  • H2O2 helped by stopping them from spreading faster but didn't really eradicate
  • A mascara brush, siphon tube & small filter sock was my best friend
    • I used the mascara brush on rock crevices to pull them out while siphoning from DT into filter sock in my sump, did this every alternate day
  • 3 day blackout didn't help
  • I'm guessing you don't want to risk a chemical treatment but I have to say AlgaeX by Fauna Marin was what saved my ass!

Lol, I was about to reply... yeah! I'm probably one of those rare guys why was successful battling dino ;) If its sure dino, I can feel ur pain!
  • H2O2 helped by stopping them from spreading faster but didn't really eradicate
  • A mascara brush, siphon tube & small filter sock was my best friend
    • I used the mascara brush on rock crevices to pull them out while siphoning from DT into filter sock in my sump, did this every alternate day
  • 3 day blackout didn't help
  • I'm guessing you don't want to risk a chemical treatment but I have to say AlgaeX by Fauna Marin was what saved my ass!
Awesome thanks @Nav. I'm going to try h2o2 while I wait to find some algaex.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do some reading on the right H2O2 dosing. I guess it was 1ml per 10gal (dose after lights off). Good luck Alfred!
Thanks 3% is what the 1ml/10gal rule applies to.

Btw it's now called Dino-x and BRS carries it

What are your parameters? Sure its not just a film algae?

Picture available?

@Nav knows alot about dealing with dinoflagellates.
Forgot to reply, but it looks exactly like online pics: lots of bubbles, carpets over everything, stringy, and im using a toothbrush to gently pull it out while n it's still manageable. It regrows so fast I'm seeing it in the same place within hours after cleaning

What kind of lighting?
How old is the tank?

I have had occasional outbreaks, patience always wins eventually but they can last quite a while. My most recent one lasted until I changed from 6500k bulbs to 20k. Within days it was gone, but coral growth slowed too.

I just finished battling green cyano, and realized now I have small patches of dinoflagellates starting to develop. I'm not sure who I got it from, but I have an idea.

Bubbles, brown sludge like hairs.

They're multiplying fast as hell. Can't keep up with the manual removal. I've read how people are stopping water changes to raise their nitrates, or using hydrogen peroxide.

Can anyone confirm? Has anyone had problems?
why would you raise nitrates, one thing they need to live? To grow dinos commercially, we used nitrogen, not limited it ;)

why would you raise nitrates, one thing they need to live? To grow dinos commercially, we used nitrogen, not limited it ;)
People say the trace elements that are replenished with PWCs promote dino growth (I think Iron mostly). Also in case of DinoX treatment, the chemical is supposed to stay in the system till end of treatment, so now PWCs there too.

So its not about rising nitrates but avoiding PWCs that end up rising nitrates...

How does iron raise nitrates?
Trust me, your response will be vetted, so make it good :lol:
Haha... thats not what I meant. When you do water changes, you replenish trace elements (iron included) that I heard could promote Dino growth. Also DinoX treatment requires you not to change water in the treatment period (25 days).

So when you don't change water (either for treatment or to avoid trace elements being replenished), you'll end up with more nitrates... Makes sense? ;)

Dino-X has no part in your discussion with me currently ;) I'm not talking about the cure per se, but rather discussing the chemistry that has been put forth here in the OG post. I'm not your average hobbyist, and my knowledge of phytoplanktons and marine bacterias is pretty extensive after working for Reed for a decade.

There are minimal trace elements in ASW mixes typically. I'm taken back that none of those RC experts concluded that typically people with Dino's do large water changes, thus inputting ammonia ;) Dino's love ammonia and will bloom with its addition.

Claude is a friend of mine, since it's his product you want to discuss, I'll talk to him about it and get the details so I can better discuss it. I've had no need to resort to chemicals as I have been able to combat my outbreaks naturally with good ol elbow grease and time. With my tanks, I've found the source which 9/10 time is old shifting spectrum MH bulbs, like Gusty mentioned above.

What kind of lighting?
How old is the tank?

I have had occasional outbreaks, patience always wins eventually but they can last quite a while. My most recent one lasted until I changed from 6500k bulbs to 20k. Within days it was gone, but coral growth slowed too.

The tank is 3 years old I think. I did replace the bulb with the exact type/kind/wattage since, but I can't remember when as I have now way of searching. The dino just happened recently after I introduced some things into the tank.

@BAYMAC @anathema so both of you think maybe my lighting is due for a replacement?

650-IS350 said:

I don't quite trust what they're saying. I think that discussion has prompted people to to call what they're doing the "dirty" method in conjunction with a bunch of other ways. Kind of like doing everything they can, hitting the problem with a hammer.

i want to mention also that the Dinos don't multiply when the lights are out. I can clean the tank before the lights go out, and won't see any until an hour after the lights come back on.

A while back I had a small zoanthid garden and dinos started to show, did water changes, sucked the boogers out and scrubbed the rocks, changed the bulb (it was old) and lights were out for about a week; anemone was not happy but that seemed to have taken care of the dino issue.

I did the 7 days of darkness and hardly fed the tank, no water changes or dosing to ensure to starve the heck out of the dino's. 7 days or so later they turned to dust.

Back