got ethical husbandry?

Just want to say Hi

Thanks again everyone.

So I found another setup. 55 Gallon Tru View Plexi.

Has a brand new red sea berlin 250 gallon rated hang on skimmer never used. 30 gal sup with bio balls and a brand new pump. It is hared plumbed for the power heads. Not sure If I am explaining that correctly or not. All for 380. Will also come with hospital tank and some supplies. From their I would have to plumb and get new Keiser lighting. What do you guys think about that setup?

The skimmer is a hang on right now. Is there any easy way to convert to a sump skimmer?
Careful with that skimmer. That was one if the things I started with and it sucks.

Buying used can definitely be daunting. The 55g acrylic tank you linked also has power compact lighting in the canopy, which you'd likely want to replace with either T5s or LEDs. Power compact lighting is older technology and while I'm sure you can still get replacement bulbs you'd likely be better off switching (I echo the advice of changing the bulbs in a used system anyway).
The Bioballs you would definitely not want to use for a reef tank.

As for the Nuvo Fusion tanks.... Yes you would still need a heater, sump, etc. There are some tricks to save money you can use though. A sump CAN be a fancy custom built endeavor, or it can be a cheap 20g glass tank with some glass baffles siliconed in. Both will work equally fine. Heaters you can generally get away with something like an Eheim Jager or other well known brand.

Pumps and flow are one of the more pricey parts of any tank, but again there are options. For in tank flow you can go really fancy and expensive for an Ecotech Vortech or Tunze Stream type device, or you can get one of the Jebao brand wavermaker pumps which get good reviews and cost less. By all means not equivalent but a reasonable starting point.

Lights are going to be another pricey point. I'm so mixed on that. I did DIY LEDs from RapidLEDs for my tank, and when I add up all the time and effort to build them and get them running I probably should have just bought a premade light like a Kessil. The good thing is that with LEDs you're not going to have to replace them every 8-12 months like halides or T5 lights. So although they may be a higher up front cost you'll save on bulb replacements.

Other things to consider for a setup:
- RO/DI system - can't beat the 5 stage with RO/DI from a place like Bulk Reef Supply
- Auto top off - you CAN get away without it and manually top off, but I find salty tanks evaporate loads of water. Doesn't have to be a tunze osmolator, but can be a cheaper one and it'll work equally well.

Buying used can definitely be daunting. The 55g acrylic tank you linked also has power compact lighting in the canopy, which you'd likely want to replace with either T5s or LEDs. Power compact lighting is older technology and while I'm sure you can still get replacement bulbs you'd likely be better off switching (I echo the advice of changing the bulbs in a used system anyway).
The Bioballs you would definitely not want to use for a reef tank.

As for the Nuvo Fusion tanks.... Yes you would still need a heater, sump, etc. There are some tricks to save money you can use though. A sump CAN be a fancy custom built endeavor, or it can be a cheap 20g glass tank with some glass baffles siliconed in. Both will work equally fine. Heaters you can generally get away with something like an Eheim Jager or other well known brand.

Pumps and flow are one of the more pricey parts of any tank, but again there are options. For in tank flow you can go really fancy and expensive for an Ecotech Vortech or Tunze Stream type device, or you can get one of the Jebao brand wavermaker pumps which get good reviews and cost less. By all means not equivalent but a reasonable starting point.

Lights are going to be another pricey point. I'm so mixed on that. I did DIY LEDs from RapidLEDs for my tank, and when I add up all the time and effort to build them and get them running I probably should have just bought a premade light like a Kessil. The good thing is that with LEDs you're not going to have to replace them every 8-12 months like halides or T5 lights. So although they may be a higher up front cost you'll save on bulb replacements.

Other things to consider for a setup:
- RO/DI system - can't beat the 5 stage with RO/DI from a place like Bulk Reef Supply
- Auto top off - you CAN get away without it and manually top off, but I find salty tanks evaporate loads of water. Doesn't have to be a tunze osmolator, but can be a cheaper one and it'll work equally well.

Thanks for all of the information. The amount of info out there on salt water reefs is daunting to say the least.

On a side not what do you guys think about companies like SCAQUARIUM and CADIGHTS AQUARIUM.

It looks like they sell pretty much ready to run systems in my price range.

Thanks for all of the information. The amount of info out there on salt water reefs is daunting to say the least.

On a side not what do you guys think about companies like SCAQUARIUM and CADIGHTS AQUARIUM.

It looks like they sell pretty much ready to run systems in my price range.

How about something like this

http://www.scaquariums.com/aquarium-systems/50-gallon-starfire-pnp-system-13.html

There is a lot of information out there. Its definitely daunting to start. When you build something yourself from parts there will always be something you don't like about it, but then you can always tinker with things over time as well. Thats part of the fun. :)

A turnkey system is definitely an option. For the Scaquariums one you linked, here's a few thoughts:
1. Doesn't include lights - Not a big issue but you'll want to find out the exact dimensions of the canopy and see what kind of lights you can fit in there. A pendant style light such as a Kessil isn't going to work. T5s are a possibility, as well as other LED fixtures. So you're looking at another $400-600 to get the lighting.
2. Front to back depth - A good idea is to take a tape measure and mock up the footprint of the aquarium on the ground. With reef tanks you're going to typically want to build a rock structure that raises up from the front to a high point at the back. Also make sure to mark out the foot print of the overflow. This will help give you an idea of what it would be like to place rocks in there. My old 140g tank was 28" front to back with a 4" center overflow, and sometimes wish it was deeper. :) That said 18" is definitely workable.
3. It says the sump comes with bioballs - just chuck those as you ultimately won't need them or want to use them. The sump looks pretty spacious so you'll have room for the heater and even a refugium in there in the future if you'd like.

None of these are deal-breakers in my mind. The big thing is to ensure the canopy can fit a suitable lighting system. If it can't you'll end up having to build your own, and that will end up costing a fair bit.

If you goal is to build a reef aquarium maybe you should do some more research on what kind of equipment to buy. Take your time and do it right the first time. Not to many of us have the money to go out and buy all the best equipment in one day. Try and take a couple months to acquire the right and maybe quality equipment. Trust me it will be cheaper in the long run. Tygunn is right, maybe a all-in-one setup might be the best thing to start off with.

I must admit, half the fun of a reef tank for me is in the setup and planning. Any time I've rushed things I've regretted it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry forgot to add one very important thing. Budget is about $1000 +-.

I think that's a really difficult budget at the tank sizes you are posting. I think any used set-up is going to likely need at least new lighting (if someone has decent lights, they are going to sell them separately to get more money). Since lights are one of the more expensive parts of the build, and you are looking at larger tanks, it's going to sink your budget pretty quickly.

The 55 gallon reef that you posted has to be 10 years old given the bio-balls in the sump and the discontinued skimmer. If that guy hasn't set up the tank after a decade, he should be giving it away and apologizing profusely to his S.O. for wasting $1,500 back in 2003. It needs new lights and a decent skimmer at least. I can't see the powerheads, but if they match the age of the rest of the equipment, they are probably enormous. Some of the equipment probably doesn't work after sitting around for so long.

You could do a nice new 20 - 30 gallon tank ($300), a good light ($200-300), a big HOB filter ($100), dry rock ($65), sand ($40), a heater ($60) and some new powerheads ($70) for under $1000. You'd be able to keep practically anything that you wanted (except for a tang). Just keep up with water changes.

If I were you, I'd just start fresh and take your time. Dealing with used equipment is just going to be an extra burden that may discourage you from the hobby. Just some food for thought.

Hey guys. Once again thanks for all of the replies. I am currently looking at the DIY root and a RED Sea 250. Once I get it all sorted the build thread will start.

Thanks,

Eric

Hey guys. Once again thanks for all of the replies. I am currently looking at the DIY root and a RED Sea 250. Once I get it all sorted the build thread will start.

Thanks,

Eric

Feel free to pass along any questions to the group. Take what we say for what it is -- our own personal experiences.

Back