Cali Kid Corals

kinetic Reefer 170

Oh wow never seen so many breed clowns together without killing each other, but beautiful fishes indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

looks cool Art! fyi - i would lower your heater further below the water line in sump. Would hate to see it get dry and crack or something.

Oh shoot, should it be fully submerged? Not a big deal, I can push it down (plenty of space). I've never had them fully submerged in the past, yikes. I usually just make sure the "coiled" part is underwater.

Oh wow never seen so many breed clowns together without killing each other, but beautiful fishes indeed

Awfully ballsy putting so many clowns into such a small space. Is the idea that they're small and hopefully they'll get along well

A few people have done it in smaller tanks successfully for a few years. Not sure if they're truly exceptions and if this is at all possible. larger tanks sure, but the idea is if there are enough of them, all introduced at the same time, and the same (small) size and they build the hierarchy quickly, they'll be good to go. There's usually initial aggression to assert as the female, then alpha male (which isn't as bad). In this case, I have a pair with a larger "female" already, so hopefully that hierarchy is made and the aggression there for top spot will be minimal.

Also, usually people get them all from the same clutch, so they're really used to each other. Nobody, that I've heard, has tried a clutch of totally different ones. So we'll see if this will be the first time someone has done this, and we'll see if this is the first success or failure as well ;)

I noticed you use rx1rm2 how is it better than the 1st gen?

I have had every RX1 model so far =) The first gen has the RX1 and RX1r, the latter does not have the low-pass filter so the images are even more detailed, but is susceptible to moiré. Not a big deal usually. These two mark 1 models have extremely slow autofocus abilities, but are otherwise quite good. The RX1r mark 2 is a huge improvement on autofocus speeds, has a tilting screen, built in EVF, no flash (yay, the built in flashes suck and I never use onboard flash anyway), and much more megapixels (42 vs. 24 in the first gen, not that it matters that much tbh).

I would absolutely get the mark 2 over the mark 1. It's a huge improvement. I usually do manual focus though, especially on fish. I have a bunch of other Nikon cameras for work gigs (D700, D800e, D810, etc) and a few prime lenses (Zeiss 21, Nikkor 35, Nikkor 85, and sometimes Zeiss Otus 55 and Zeiss 15 on higher budget gigs).

My avatar pic was taken with my D700 way back in the day with a Sigma 105mm macro.

yeah I have the mk1 and hated the flash, I uses ring flash instead, and was waiting for an upgrade that includes wifi... oh well the new mk2 update looks good but only if they would just add a wifi chip in it..

yeah I have the mk1 and hated the flash, I uses ring flash instead, and was waiting for an upgrade that includes wifi... oh well the new mk2 update looks good but only if they would just add a wifi chip in it..

Oh, Mk2 does have wifi antenna. I can transfer jpegs to my phone easily. I use Cascable to transfer RAWs to my iPhone and use Priime to edit the RAW photos.

still needs to save up :) thanks for the heads up. by the time when i have enough money to buy the mk3, i will probley get a 2nd hand one.

still needs to save up :) thanks for the heads up. by the time when i have enough money to buy the mk3, i will probley get a 2nd hand one.
Yeah, I probably won't get the MK3 unless it's a huge innovation. The mk2 is really amazing, I can't think of something better in this form factor.

Also, usually people get them all from the same clutch, so they're really used to each other. Nobody, that I've heard, has tried a clutch of totally different ones. So we'll see if this will be the first time someone has done this, and we'll see if this is the first success or failure as well ;)
Well it's a little late for this now, but usually people with multiple clowns have multiple anemones in the tank already.

Well it's a little late for this now, but usually people with multiple clowns have multiple anemones in the tank already.

Also, that's only if they want pairs to not fight with each other and keep their own territories. True "harem" or "groups" would share anemones or not even be hosted by one in the first place and stick together. Groups of 5 or more seemed to create enough of a group so that once one asserted dominance as female and alpha, the bad aggression stopped. Normal pecking order squabbles is always there of course.

But again, that's the small handful of things I've read and been told so far across the internets. I'm definitely going to try to get more nems that'll fit (probably BTAs) and see if they'll ever host the clowns.

Back