Reef nutrition

Kinetic's ELOS 120

OK, so maybe not a small tank, I decided not to rent a room out in the house and just have two rooms, one as an office with a tank in it. I'm also not going with AGE, doesn't seem like many LFS like dealing with them. I got a tip from Ian and others that Keith Grandt is good, so sent him an email for a possible tank.

52" x 32" x 24"
Braceless, Black Silicon, White PVC bottom

Going to run it bare bottom, SPS only (maybe my clam too), no fish, and maybe just the trochus snails I've had since the beginning of time.

I'll try to see if I can get away with my two MP40s at full blast, but might have to upgrade the flow. There's a big closet next to where the tank will go, so that's where I'll have a big sump, auto water changer, big skimmer, Ca/Mag/Alk dosers, and other goodies. Maybe I can eventually setup a fridge modified for feeding the tank with a doser.

Still debating on using my current Geisemann lighting setup, or going for some AquaIllumination SOL blue modules.

Another more practical option is to just setup the ELOS 120, but what fun would that be?

Still so indecisive! Current thoughts:

Stick with it
Stay with my current tank, just get a new ELOS Cabinet and move the tank over and set it all back up. I got all the equipment (pretty much the best I could get too) and could just get re-setup. The new location of the tank will be next to a huge closet that I'm not using for anything, so I could put some equipment and maybe a big fat refugium in there. I will probably have to pull some water lines under the house to hook up my RODI. All in all, it would be a pretty cheap move.

Pros: Wouldn't need to buy anything new, except a new cabinet
Cons: Would be in my office room rather than living room (no room for it in the living room now). More power consumption than a smaller option.

Downsize
Thinking of getting the Elos Midi tank and cabinet, and then hooking it up through a wall to all my existing equipment. Cool thing about this option is the location of the tank would be pretty awesome in the living room in a corner where I can't think of what to put there. It's directly in the line of sight when you walk in too. There's an opportunity to drill through a wall to get everything plumbed to stuff in a laundry room. This will be costly and the tank will be much smaller. I'm thinking of going minimalistic: 1 rock, 1 acropora, 1 clam, 1 snail, done. Really need to feed fish, and I can run a doser to pump some reef nutrition goodness into it during the day.

Pros: Get new gadgets that is fun! Less power consumption with smaller lighting. In a really cool spot in the living room. Excuse to not keep fish and be able to travel a lot.
Cons: Buy new tank and cabinet. Less space in laundry room for extra equipment. Too small to house fish if I ever wanted them.

Both

A lot of you are already saying: "DO BOTH!" Also an option ;)

LeviT said:
If I had the option to travel more down sizing would make sense.
That's very true. Checked with ELOS, and it seems like the MIDI isn't in stock and will be shipped in January.

I could just go with a custom builder probably.

kinetic said:
Still so indecisive! Current thoughts:

Stick with it
Stay with my current tank, just get a new ELOS Cabinet and move the tank over and set it all back up. I got all the equipment (pretty much the best I could get too) and could just get re-setup. The new location of the tank will be next to a huge closet that I'm not using for anything, so I could put some equipment and maybe a big fat refugium in there. I will probably have to pull some water lines under the house to hook up my RODI. All in all, it would be a pretty cheap move.

Pros: Wouldn't need to buy anything new, except a new cabinet
Cons: Would be in my office room rather than living room (no room for it in the living room now). More power consumption than a smaller option.

Downsize
Thinking of getting the Elos Midi tank and cabinet, and then hooking it up through a wall to all my existing equipment. Cool thing about this option is the location of the tank would be pretty awesome in the living room in a corner where I can't think of what to put there. It's directly in the line of sight when you walk in too. There's an opportunity to drill through a wall to get everything plumbed to stuff in a laundry room. This will be costly and the tank will be much smaller. I'm thinking of going minimalistic: 1 rock, 1 acropora, 1 clam, 1 snail, done. Really need to feed fish, and I can run a doser to pump some reef nutrition goodness into it during the day.

Pros: Get new gadgets that is fun! Less power consumption with smaller lighting. In a really cool spot in the living room. Excuse to not keep fish and be able to travel a lot.
Cons: Buy new tank and cabinet. Less space in laundry room for extra equipment. Too small to house fish if I ever wanted them.

Both

A lot of you are already saying: "DO BOTH!" Also an option ;)

Crap, I'm broke, otherwise I'd say downsize :lol:

Joking aside, I'd downsize given your situation (although cooling becomes an issue)

Updates

Ordered a new ELOS Square stand for the 120 in December, was told it would be delivered to me by the end of January. We're mid March now, and still nothing. He said the stand got mixed up in some shipments and is in NJ now rather than CA. I'm hoping he'll waive the delivery costs. I doubt it.

Decided to go with sticking with my 120, since Gresh isn't ready to buy yet, and he's literally first in line ;) The reason is, it's just way cheaper initially. I have everything, and just in case I change my mind, I don't have to upgrade all over again.

I will be modifying my system a little bit:

• Genesis Reef Renew Pro - Replace my LiterMeter III water xchange
    [*]Genesis Reef Storm Pro - Replace ELOS topoff, that thing sucks anyway. Would love to sync it with the renew pro.
    [*]No GFO / Carbon Reactors
    - These are such a pain to maintain. I regularly have to change these out every few weeks. I'm not convinced they're totally working anyway. I'll rely on my BK skimmer.
    Avast Marine Davey Jones Skimmate Locker
    - It might just be my luck, or that wack ass ELOS topoff that dumps a ton of water all at once, or my janky LiterMeter water xchange system, but my skimmer is more often on the frits than every working correctly. I hope the changes above will help, but just in case, I'm getting this item so that I won't need to worry about my skimmer freaking out when I'm away.
    Avast Marine Swabbie
  • - More goodies for the skimmer. This swabbie basically will clean the neck of the skimmer more often. Just means more skimming!

As much as I love you guys and the hobby, I'm just going to be traveling way too much in the next year. It wouldn't be responsible to keep a tank when I'm only home a few days a month, if that.

I'm going to be breaking my entire system down starting on June 2nd. I will be selling some of my livestock to good homes, to be picked up that day. And shortly after will be selling off all the equipment.

I will be setting up a smaller tank for my parents' house and will probably need some recommendations on maintenance companies for them that I'll just pay for. They can pretty much do day to day stuff for it otherwise.

This is what I'm going to have available:

1. Bellus Genicanthus (female) - over 2 years healthy, pretty small still (see previous photos)
2. Sanjay Black Photon (pair) - been spawning regularly (promised to rich/thales a long time ago, not sure if still interested, sorry bud took me so long)
3. Bartlett Anthia (female) - eats like a pig
4. Some blue/green chromis - these definitely aren't jumpers, they're still in my tank to this day =)
5. Handful of transparent with orange spot gobies from the carribean - you'll have to take the live rock they'll probably lodge themselves into
6. Trochus snails, nassarius, peppermint shrimp, tuxedo urchin - up for grabs
7. Really nice derasa clam, blue, aquacultured from neptune's

If you're interested, let me know =) I'm flex on the prices, and some I'll just let go to good homes anyway.

In terms of equipment, I have
1. Brand new ELOS square stand (latest generation) in white
2. ELOS 120 (smaller version, not the larger 120)
3. Custom Trigger Systems sump
4. Bubble King 160
5. Geismann 250watt hqi + 2x55watt T5 combo in a really beautiful custom glossy white infiniti housing
6. AquaController and two dc8
7. Vortech MP20 x2 with controllers
8. Vortech backup battery
9. Lots of other various pumps etc.

I'm going to sell it all, so I'll have a more comprehensive list.

Another old skooler out, sorry to hear man but I would take traveling over the hobby anyday! Gona miss seeing them clean pics you take. Good luck on your travels!

melly mel said:
Another old skooler out, sorry to hear man but I would take traveling over the hobby anyday! Gona miss seeing them clean pics you take. Good luck on your travels!

thanks!! yeah it sucks to get out of the hobby, I still love it though. I just feel like it might hold be back a bit from a somewhat dynamic few years. I'm pushing to exit with a new company new by next year, and after that a new venture, which i'm pretty excited about. It's going to take me out of town a lot, it should be fun =)

I'd still love to come by meetings and events whenever I can. You guys are a great group, and I enjoy just hanging out. Definitely still love the hobby, I'll try to stay as informed as possible.

Sanjay photon pair - $100

Bellus Genicanthus - $50 (younger picture below, now with more red and about 1/2" larger)

Derasa Clam - $40 (younger picture below, now about 2" larger)

Bartlett Anthia - $15

Inverts, trochus, nassarius, peppermint shrimp, porcelin crab, and whatever live rock they're lodged in - $30

3 or maybe 4 small clear / orange gobies. They're from the carribean, forgot their names. - $10

Take everything that's alive for $220, even if I didn't list it.

These prices are only for BAR members who can provide good homes.

They'll be available on June 2nd for pickup.

Equipment prices

$680 - ELOS Square cabinet (it's brand new)
$1000 - ELOS 120 tank
Together: $1200 (that's $400 less than separately)

$300 - Trigger System Sump (custom)
ArtSump.jpg

$350 - Teco TR10 Chiller (works great, barely used, slight hole that I patched up on some of the plumbing)

Setup pictured below, except now it has a trigger sys pump.

$1400 - Giesemann Infiniti 2x250w HQI + 4x54w T5 48 inches (Polar White) - this is custom painted, a steal. I got it for $2000

$750 - Bubble King mini 160

$500 - Vortech MP40 pair (price is for both and the wirless controllers)
$80 - Vortech Battery backup
$550 if you take both pairs and battery backup

I'll have more prices on other misc. stuff later. If you're interested in getting EVERYTHING, let me know. I'll put together an even cheaper price for it all.

Hey Art,

Sorry you are taking a break from the hobby. I would like to be 2nd in line for the clam, but I think its a maxima not a derasa. Also the bartlett and chromis.

melly mel said:
Interested in the clam and possibly the vortech battery back up. Does it work with the MP40W ES? If so I'll take it.

I've never tried it with anything other than the MP40 that I have, and I can't be sure the specs on the latest one match with my model. I can look that up tomorrow probably. If anyone else knows, that would be very helpful!

Apon said:
Hey Art,

Sorry you are taking a break from the hobby. I would like to be 2nd in line for the clam, but I think its a maxima not a derasa. Also the bartlett and chromis.

Ah yes, maxima I totally had a brain fart =)

Also, someone messaged me earlier for all the livestock, I'll have to confirm with him first, otherwise Rommel gets the clam, Arnold second for that. And if the other guy falls through, you got the bartlett and chromis arnold! =)

Back