got ethical husbandry?

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

2064587944b4b917c4e97e5245d38cc7.jpg

Hydor All Glass 300 W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh it's glass. That should have clips with suction cups

Yup. I will check or box of supplies but pretty sure those didn't come with our load. We'll look for replacements or eat the $24 to replace it. One of the websites is having a sale. Hopefully we can get replacements. Can't find them quickly online though.

I have extra suction cups from my broken heaters if you need any - free. I'm in San Jose. Lmk

Such sweet folks! I found some on Amazon, $5/set and ships free. :) I think that will be easy enough. We're up in Oakland so SJ would be a trek.

Oh wow. Weeks of setting up biofilter, then weeks more of QT. Good article - I really like the explanations of rationale and procedures. However, it also leaves me feeling like I will never see fish in my tank. In practice, do hobbyists actually QT fish singly? I would not be able to do that.

Oh wow. Weeks of setting up biofilter, then weeks more of QT. Good article - I really like the explanations of rationale and procedures. However, it also leaves me feeling like I will never see fish in my tank. In practice, do hobbyists actually QT fish singly? I would not be able to do that.

www.bluelifeusa.com/products/safety-stop/

Atleast use safety stop during acclimation.

Last edited:
Well, darn it. We can't get the seal good on the overflow (drain/return) -- we didn't check that separately before filling the tank. Ya know, because we are newbies.

We've tried a good handful of things but wonder if the bulkhead is just ready to be replaced. @Cal Reefer suggested we replace the gaskets, and maybe that would be enough. We didn't swap them out first. And, apparently, that isn't the kind of thing you grab at Home Depot.

As for @gimmito's article and QT, so much to think about! But it feels like 6 months from now before we can even think about live things in the tank.

FYI at this point, we just need someone to help get us over this hump. We'd gladly hire someone, we are close but getting caught on stupid things. We'll take recommendations on trustworthy individuals by message, or volunteers who like to be well fed. Homemade pasta at the very least (assuming gluten is your thing).

The next steps for us are:
1) resolve the leak in the overflow, which could be as simple as replacing the gaskets but might not be that simple.
2) get the skimmer/pump situation resolved. (And right now, we've got some dust accumulating on the water... So either the skimmer or filter socks will be needed???)

If we can get some momentum to cycling, we could figure out the Aquacontroller and top off situation.

There are other bits--the frame that would hold a glass top is totally cracked. And figuring out why the 3rd fan doesn't run, and the 2nd runs slower than the 1st. But ya know. One step at a time.

Now to sleep.... Oy.

I second the suggestion of a new gasket; if swapping the bulkhead is somehow possible then change the whole thing; last thing you want is a bulkhead with a stress crack that might not leak now. I used to put silicon between the glass and bulkhead just for peace of mind but since you already have water in and silicon needs to cure, not sure if that would be something to try.

Replace the bulkhead.
It is in the overflow box, right?
So you just lower the main display tank water for a few days.
It will dry out, and you can replace it.
I generally use silicone on both sides of the gasket, and only hand tighten, then let glue dry.
Some argue silicone with no gasket is better yet.
It is very easy to over tighten, and either crack the bulkhead, or squeeze the gasket out
creating a gap.

Also consider if taking bulkhead off, to get schedule-80, but, here's the but; check the diameter of the current bulkhead vs the sch-80.

Well, we have a guess about what we have - but relying on your collective expertise to make sure we know what we are doing or should do.

0973fa617db37b62e50ed5fa24296611.jpg

aa45a7e1342e5689575379702f94b6ca.jpg

So I think we've got slip-thread with barb adapters on both. If that's the case, it sounds like replacing the whole bulkhead would be a pain. We'd almost need to start over and rebuild both pipes.

One curiosity. We are noticing that the nut here has a little deformity. We could file that down - maybe that's all that is causing us headache because it can't get flat against the glass. (Right side.)
969320ed54a071e075d32cbf7d695e2c.jpg

What do ya'll see?

Hope to hear soon.

FYI at this point, we just need someone to help get us over this hump. We'd gladly hire someone, we are close but getting caught on stupid things. We'll take recommendations on trustworthy individuals by message, or volunteers who like to be well fed. Homemade pasta at the very least (assuming gluten is your thing).

The next steps for us are:
1) resolve the leak in the overflow, which could be as simple as replacing the gaskets but might not be that simple.
2) get the skimmer/pump situation resolved. (And right now, we've got some dust accumulating on the water... So either the skimmer or filter socks will be needed???)

If we can get some momentum to cycling, we could figure out the Aquacontroller and top off situation.

There are other bits--the frame that would hold a glass top is totally cracked. And figuring out why the 3rd fan doesn't run, and the 2nd runs slower than the 1st. But ya know. One step at a time.

Now to sleep.... Oy.

Erin is in your backyard. I would definitely hire him.

I should have a couple spare Hayward bulkheads but the diameter might be the issue, your tank being pre-drilled and I guess tempered glass, will only allow for same diameter bulkheads. I may have some of those Megaflow bulkheads; I will be in the basement tomorrow and check. Just by the pics you posted, those bulkheads served their purpose, new ones will take care of the issue; use silicon,just make sure is the right one!
GE Silicon 1?,

I should have a couple spare Hayward bulkheads but the diameter might be the issue, your tank being pre-drilled and I guess tempered glass, will only allow for same diameter bulkheads. I may have some of those Megaflow bulkheads; I will be in the basement tomorrow and check. Just by the pics you posted, those bulkheads served their purpose, new ones will take care of the issue; use silicon,just make sure is the right one!
GE Silicon 1?,
Get some Hayward schedule 80 bulkheads. You will thank me later. ;)

You two are awesome!

Here's the question: if these are slip/glued, then how do we replace the bulkhead without trashing the whole thing? I've looked up a few options to unglue, and they all seem to mean destroying the PVC or specialized tools. What am I missing?

Also, if I get to do the option that light the PVC on fire, that would be fun. Loved that YouTube video.

Suffice to say, replacing the gasket seems easy enough. A little intimidated by replacing the glued on bulkhead.

Back