High Tide Aquatics

LED suplemental light strips and venders at Baymac

With LED lighting evolving at the speed of light :| I'm considering adding a strip of blue LED's like I saw at the BAYMAC show. I can not recall who the vender was that demonstrated a strip that looked about the size of a 48" T5 tube.

Could someone please "remind me" who that was and what the product is? I've got an abundance of light in the tank but would like to boost the flourescence of the colors and I'm thinking LED supplemental lighting may be a good add-on.

BTW, is anyone completely sold on the idea of LED only in a 100 gal mixed reef tank? I'd search for more on LED long term testing ongoing with BAR members but there is no more search engine for the forum. 8-(

There were two that fit that description. SunBrite and Icecap. Where were they located in the building... see map here: http://thebaymac.com/sites/default/files/BAYMAC2010_FLOOR_PLAN_429a-02.jpg

Use google to search the BAR website.
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=:www.bareefers.org&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=6bi&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial

I started with 2 48" reef brites n now I'm will have 4 blue and 2 all whites over my 120

I'm biased for reef brutes. The strips are built good and are simple to hook. Up

Gresham, you ARE the best. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll do some research. :)

After short research and a memory tickle :davie: I remembered that at Baymac, it was a woman who was representing the Icecap product. I recall seeing huge color improvements in tanks using LED's for most of the venders who were at BAYMAC. So..........I placed an order for a single strip of 470 nm in the 45.5" size. I time my lighting to have actinics only start and finish the day. I'll time the LED strip to come on when the T5 actinics come on. Here's the product I chose:
http://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_LED_Moonlight_Retro_470nm_Tube_w_Power_Supply_%2b_Mounting_Clips_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-IceCap-IC3971-FILTFILD-vi.html

RB's are much brighter and a different blue... little more pricey.... and larger. If you need something to fit in a tight place, the IC ones are great. I have two RB's and a single IC.

screebo said:
Gresham, you ARE the best. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll do some research. :)

After short research and a memory tickle :davie: I remembered that at Baymac, it was a woman who was representing the Icecap product. I recall seeing huge color improvements in tanks using LED's for most of the venders who were at BAYMAC. So..........I placed an order for a single strip of 470 nm in the 45.5" size. I time my lighting to have actinics only start and finish the day. I'll time the LED strip to come on when the T5 actinics come on. Here's the product I chose:
http://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_LED_Moonlight_Retro_470nm_Tube_w_Power_Supply_%2b_Mounting_Clips_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-IceCap-IC3971-FILTFILD-vi.html

The icecap lights are most likely only good as moon lighting. If you want to be able to see them with your other lights on you need to go with the reefbrites.

Not true. I know a few using them for actinic supplementation and they do just fine. less bright, but some don't like massive amounts of actinic. A friend of mine in Oakland uses 1 IC along with 5x 54w T5 (2 daylight, two actinic)

I've got room for R B's too. I think I'll see how the icecap strip looks and consider an additional R B strip. My tank has come "so far" since it was filled last Sept that I'm ready to showcase it with plenty of color enhancement lighting. Thanks for all the great input you dang bunch of Reefers........... H)

GreshamH said:
Not true. I know a few using them for actinic supplementation and they do just fine. less bright, but some don't like massive amounts of actinic. A friend of mine in Oakland uses 1 IC along with 5x 54w T5 (2 daylight, two actinic)
Two daylight, two actinic........and one??????? ;)

screebo said:
GreshamH said:

Bolded it in case you missed it.

screeboTwo daylight said:
The LFS in Dublin that has the Sun Brites has one strip of red LEDs on the display tank. They said it caused the red and orange colors of the corals to pop. Can't say I saw a difference....but I didn't see the tank before the addition. Anyone have any opinion/experience?

-Gregory

"white" LEDs do not have much red in them. If the red on the corals is a reflectance color and a true red color, then red LEDs will help. If it is redish orange, then you probably are fine with "white" LEDs. If the coral fluoresces to to red, you have plenty of color from the white LED.

Read this Gregory: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature1

GreshamH said:
Use google to search the BAR website.
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=:www.bareefers.org&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=6bi&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial

Sorry, i couldn't resist. It's probably better and easier way is to do add site:www.bareefers.org to your query. Eg your query site:www.bareefers.org (this way it doesn't do limit to only 2 results from the site).

Anyway, what a good timing for this thread. I'm shopping for actinic LED as well.

Does the icecap one comes with a power supply? It isn't clear from the website - (from the picture, it doesn't look like there's a power supply). Maybe marine-depot customize it by adding a power supply?
http://icecapinc.com/informationcenter/news/lunarlite-blue-led-retrofit

I was looking for that link, thanks :)

Yes it comes with a power supply :)

I've got the blue RBs on a 48" strip for supplimental lighting and they do bring out a nice blue suppliment. I haven't tried or compared the other LED blues. John- if you want to stop by I'll show you what it looks like when RBs are on and off and how much difference it makes in my tank which is lite by 3 x 250W MH and 1 ATI blue +.

GreshamH said:
screebo said:
GreshamH said:

Bolded it in case you missed it.

I'm sure it's just me.....but......isn't 1 (IC) plus 5x T5's.....= 6?.......Did I loose a bulb? Nevermind, lol I'm sure it's just me. :|

PS It turns out my Icecap strip was back ordered so I did cancel the order and have a 48" RB fixture on it's way from Indianna. I think one brighter fixture, mounted on the bottom front edge of my Photon Plus fixture and angled back, just behind the opaque acrylic wrasse guard should really pop the colors. It will be hidden from view and I'm stoked to get it mounted. :davie:

Back