Our mission

Leemar Starphire 290

Thanks everyone. Now that the stand is in.............ya can't help but notice it in the room! LOL!

Now I am MOTIVATED! Gonna spend the weekend doing some of the odds and ends I need before the tank will work. Just set up my RO / DI system. Can't believe I didn't have one before. SO easy once it is set up. Still need to buy a float valve for it. It has a built in Auto shut off with any back pressure, so a float valve should be enough to turn it off (I think?).

Also have to build a ramp into the tank room for the BEAST of a tank that is coming. I'm hoping I can just drive it into the room on dollies and only have to lift it once from the dollies to the stand. It is only a 6" step from the garage floor and I have plenty of room on each side of the door for a straight shot in. Easy right? HA! :(

Gonna build some shelving to hold the pumps, skimmer ATO, GFO, etc.

LETS DO THIS!

This is shaping up to be a seriously awesome setup. looking forward to seeing it all come together- it's all so well done. I'm curious to see what transpires with the aquascape since the 31" front to back offers a lot of possibilities.

Kris- This is looking awesome. I am trying to figure out myself which tank size demotions I should go for. As I will be upgrading from a 140.

By the way, you might want to start thinking about what to do with that AC/Air register. Might be blowing air on your tank depending on the final height of stand and tank.

how are you going to open the side stand door with the tv stuff in the way? also are you concerned about splashing salt water on the TV since its so close?

Thanks everybody for the compliments / support.

@Cookiejar.........I am excited to aquascape this, but nervouse too. LOL! I have a lot of idea's, but adding the rock in stages is going to make it difficult. I may have to get the tank cycled, move everything over and then take everything back out and do a real aquascape. :( We'll see.

@Scuba71........I literally made this tank the absolute largest I could for the space / door I had to go through. Thus the odd size. I am very pleased so far. I know the vent is in a bummer spot, but in the last 3 years we have lived here, the vent has been closed. So I figure I will just keep it that way. It is in an unfortunate spot though. It is possible to re-route it, and that may be the ultimate fix.

@Apon..........The side door was put on simply for easy insertion of my obscenely oversized sump / fuge. I will pull the stand away to insert it. I did however add an extra 4' of speaker wire to that speaker so I can move it easily and get the door about 70% open for access. All my pumps, skimmers, etc will all be plumbed behind the wall, so I will likely use that extra space for storage.

;)

Oh, and the TV being so close.............I'm not too concerned, but I will have to be careful when working on that side of the tank for sure. It has been next to my 110 gallon for years with no problems, but this is a tad bigger. :~

Kmooresf said:
Thanks everybody for the compliments / support.
Scuba71........I literally made this tank the absolute largest I could for the space / door I had to go through. Thus the odd size. I am very pleased so far. I know the vent is in a bummer spot, but in the last 3 years we have lived here, the vent has been closed. So I figure I will just keep it that way. It is in an unfortunate spot though. It is possible to re-route it, and that may be the ultimate fix.
;)

If I were you and in my opinion, I would relocate it. I ran into a similar issue and caught in time to move it before it became impossible to relocate. It was too much of an eyesore for us.

You mentioned that the other side of that wall is the garage. If so, it should be fairly easy to relocate or plug. Then again, this is your baby. ;-)

Hey Monzer,

Yeah, I was looking at it today. I think it would be pretty easy to move. I have another week or so off work, so I will look into it. It would look much better without it. Just hope my drywall skills (NOT) will be enough to patch it and not have it look worse than it does already! LOL! We'll see. ;)

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I am FREAKING out! LOL! I am so excited. I just got my order from Bulk Reef supply of "Dry Rock." I was a bit hesitant to buy this stuff (I don't know why) as I am used to buying "LIVE rock." However I decided for the cost, it just doesn't get any better. I bought two 50lb boxes of general "Fiji" dry rock and 50lbs of the "Pukani" dry rock.

It has arrived and I COULDN'T be happier! This stuff is beautiful. A great mix of large and small pieces and buying dry rock gets you A LOT!! I put in a little comment when I bought it that I was building a large reef and to pick me some nice pieces (they pick the pukani). They gave me some killer stuff! I am stoked. Here are some pics.............

This was 50lbs of Pukani! The ruler is 24" by 16" for reference! That is a LOT Of rock!
IMG_1679.jpg

This is two 50lb boxes of Dry FIJI rock. A good mix of large and small and some interesting pieces mixed in.
IMG_1681.jpg

This bad boy is 17" accross, 14" tall and 13" wide.
IMG_1683.jpg

I will be sending a message to BRS to thank them. This entire order was shipped for free with no tax! I am PLEASED!

Sweet looking rock.

Why did you get a mix? The Pukani looks like you get the greatest volume for your $$. Not criticizing your choice, just want to know your thought process.

Aqua-nut............I know what you mean. I have three tanks with Fiji in them, and that rock is going into the new tank. So I figured I would just get more Fiji. I happened to watch the dry rock video on BRS and decided to give the Pukani a try. If I was ordering again, I would have gotten ALL pukani. However.........It is very pourous and a little brittle. So I think it will actually work out well to stack the Pukani on top of the Fiji. This will give it some height and showcase the Pukani. You are right though, you get a TON of rock / lb with the Pukani. So if your ever lookin.........learn from my mistake. ;) I am very happy all around about it though. I can make this work just fine. All the rock is in Bins and Curing. Now I just need a tank to put them in. :davie:

Are you planning on using mortar or rods for making different structures & towers? With your size tank you've got plenty of height to make a couple tall towers in the back which might provide a nice contrast to lower level structures towards the front.
I agree that the Pukani are the choice rocks.

Hey CookieJar.............I was just able to stop by and see Gimmito's set up. John (jesterstix) was also there, and they gave me a rundown on how to use the rods and mortar. I will probably give it a try.

I have gotten a LOT of prep done for this tank. Took all the wood paneling off the walls in the garage and am replacing them with fire rated sheet rock. Also had an extra 20 amp circuit breaker in the panel and had a buddy (who is an electrician) come by and route a 4 plug, dedicated outlet for the tank. WOO HOO!

I have also built some shelving for the pumps / skimmer, etc., and a ramp for moving the tank into place. Moved the Vent above the tank over......now above the TV. Pretty proud of my drywall work, as you can't even tell it was there! Usually my taping really sucks! LOL! This time, not so bad.

The shelving is built to the same height as the inner base of the stand. Hopefully it will be a good height for all the pumps.
IMG_1676.jpg

Dry wall SKILLS! LOL!
IMG_1702.jpg

Sump is supposed to be ready for pick up next week...........along with many of the pumps and power heads, maybe the skimmer, etc.
Soon...........very Soon!

Looks good Kris. I need to take a dry wall finishing lesson from you!

Did you know there is also fire rated drywall mud? IIRC it's pink.

I must have missed the part where stuff was going in the garage. I thought the sump was going in the stand.

When will the tank arrive?

gimmito said:
Looking good Kris...do you have a exhaust fan for the tank ?
I haven't put one in Jim. I have three tanks down there now at about 200 gallons total volume and no problem with moisture. I am however going to double that with this tank. It would be very easy to put one in though. Any recommendation? I would probably just put one in the corner above the tank venting to the garage?

John, the sump is going to go under the stand. I am just putting all the pumps / skimmer / GFO / Calcium reactor / ATO........outside. Trying to keep it quiet in the room. Prolly impossible, but I think it will help. I currently have all three tanks making a LOT of noise........skimmer on each tank. UGH!

So the sump might be here this comming week. I believe the tank will be finished also.......however that is being crated and shipped from LA, so will have to set up a delivery date when I will be here and able to inspect. I'm going to Vegas next weekend for my Brother in laws 40th birthday, so will get started putting everything together after that.

Ordered most of the "Toys" for the tank, and they should be in this week as well. Skimmer, skimmer feed pump, primary pumps, Tunze power heads and controller, heaters, etc. Still have to decide on sand.........waiting to buy lights and calcium reactor until after taxes. Maybe never! LOL! Yet to be determined.

Back