Kessil

LEGIT emergency! Need your opinions!

swk

So...I was looking in my tank at night with a flash light and noticed what looked like a crack in the back wall of my tank. Nothing was transferring to the back paint. I scraped some paint and sure enough there's a crack originating from my bulkhead. I have no idea how long it has been there.

My question is - Is this a legit emergency? Do I NEED to empty this thing now? Problem is now I would need to get a new tank, drill it and silicone the overflow box in place. This is going to take some time. I don't know what the hell to do.

I'm back in town late today (Th). I've got a couple of 10g. cycled. I could babysit the fish.

I'm sure there are other WCR that can help.

Thanks guys. I have a plan. I will relocate fish I have in an acrylic 36x15 37 gal??? tank and use this temporarily until I can locate another tank. Only possible problem is that the tank is used and I cannot verify 100% that there was never copper used in it. A copper test kit will rule that out, correct?

50/50 white vinegar & DI water will annihilate any residue or contamination in that tank, I would grab some super hot water, mix it w/ the vinegar & dump about a gallon in the tank, grab a soft cloth slosh the water around & clean the whole inside, then rinse once with DI water and you're done.

Tip:
For the sand, find or buy a bunch of cheap plastic bowls.
After you remove rock and livestock, carefully/slowly push the sand into the bowls.
Then put the bowls + sand in the temporary tank, and leave them that way. Sand in bowl.
Dumping sand releases a ton of crud, which could cause an ammonia spike.
But not transferring your sand means a big loss of bio-filter.

Talked to the tanks previous owner and no copper. So yay for that. AND my wife actually wants a bigger tank for in the house! So I'm actually in the market for a 4' tank.

Rygh - is this the case even with newish setups? I only have an inch of sand at the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked to the tanks previous owner and no copper. So yay for that. AND my wife actually wants a bigger tank for in the house! So I'm actually in the market for a 4' tank.

Rygh - is this the case even with newish setups? I only have an inch of sand at the most

Sand is probably not an issue in your case, no.

Ha! Found a reef ready 75 gal with back silicone and black stand with nickle hardware for 500 from my lfs
bu9ydaqe.jpg

Coming home with me after I finish my downstairs remodel.

Well if you got 4' go with a 120... Just kidding...sort of.
That's not a bad deal tho for the 75. In going to be selling my 120 soon tho.
Shoot, before you know it with that logic, I might as well keep the 180 and set that up loL!

Trying to downsize here! At least with a 75 I would keep my current skimmer. I would need to add some more live rock, substrate and order another LED fixture to match my current one and I'd be all set

Back