High Tide Aquatics

Let "THE GAME" begin

Hmm...so question for someone who follows soccer..

Offsides or not? Seems like they were there at the same time at worst and the guy slid...so?

Was this a normal/expected call or something that usually never gets called?

Offsides can always be a tough call. The rule is when the ball is played there must be at least one defender between the goal and the offensive player. I unfortunately didn't get to see the play as I was at a conference today but from what I have read it was not even close and the call was blown.

The real question I have is how the heck did the US let themselves put them in a 2-0 hole that they had to dig their way out of.

If there always must be one player between, why would the defense ever bother trying to prevent players from just blazing right by them?

Now you can watch it over and over ;)

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/What-was-the-call-that-ruled-out-Edu-s-goal-No-?urn=sow,249599

Ever hear of an offside trap? Pretty common practice. Remember it is when the ball is played to the player not when the ball reaches the player.

Thus it would be where the US players were located relative to the defender when Donavan struck the ball. It looks pretty clear to me he was not offside. Thanks for the video link.

It's amazing how much of sports is mental. After tying England, I think they expected to win easily today. The announcers expected them to win 2-0. It took them 45 minutes to start playing. The US came out with all long, ineffective passes, no ball control. On the first goal, our keeper didn't even move????? Screened, I don't know. Looked very strange.
I doubt that ref will official any more games.

Maybe this British paper wants to print a retract?

Here was an article after the group draws were announced

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2009/Dec/Week1/15491727.jpg

First off Chicharito was onside by a arm in Mexico vs. France game and that was a well scored goal the French just got caught pulling a trap and had to eat the goal. Second Howard on the Algeria goal had just planted to prepare when the shot got hit no chance at that ball whatsoever, especially when world cup players can strike a ball at well over 60mph. Third that call at the end of the game was the dumbest call ever he called Edu for waving his arm to get the Algerian player off of him when the rest of the defenders where bear hugging and mugging the other forwards. There is no way the center ref would call offsides from the position he was at that's what the linesman are for. It was a very crappy call and the USA was robbed this coming from a non USA fan.

The US is now in the position to advance with a win. If they win they deserve to move on. If they loose they don't. Now we just have to wait for Wednesdays game.

I think tocayo he was offside but to us he was not; very hard to tell and by the reaction of Javier, he seems to acknowledge he was off side but no referee calling it nor the linesman then reason to celebrate; his grandfather also a footballer for Mexico, scored against France but this time was a win. I have my doubts too on the penalty kick, lots of theatrical to convince; anyway the team played better than the French; maybe karma showed up finally.
I missed both US goals, damn it. but the replay shows hell of a shot by Donovan.
Last goal was legitimate, there's lots of grabbing holding pushing from both teams. Argentina's goal vs Nigeria should have not been counted, notice the player pulls the Nigerian away from the path of the ball; a HUGE miss by the ref ?
Got home to read the Englishmen are in deep trouble, a draw puts pressure on the team, the "big" team.
For the round of 16 will be interesting to see if there's an upset; thinking Mexico's usual thing of "taking things easy" after they are "in" might mean Argentina right away and it's not such great news by looking back in time. Can they win the game? yes they can and if they do and the Germans continue they too can beat them. Beating either team in a World Cup by the Aztecas would be the real upset, not the France game to me.
USA has it rough too but they can go far into the tournament.
Thing I'd like to see is Germany beating Argentina and face Brasil again.
Interesting if semis are Germany vs Argentina and on the other side Brasil vs Italia, would be like two world cup finals before the final.

seminolecpa said:
Maybe this British paper wants to print a retract?

Here was an article after the group draws were announced

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2009/Dec/Week1/15491727.jpg

"World Cup Draw Relief"

Yeah !
They know they suck

iCon said:
If there always must be one player between, why would the defense ever bother trying to prevent players from just blazing right by them?

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/What-was-the-call-that-ruled-out-Edu-s-goal-No-?urn=sow,249599
I paused it when the goal was being kicked and I think they were inside the goal box.

I hear you tocayo I'd love to see the Mexicans do good and put Uruguay away so that we stay away from Messi and his crew. The Germans I think are nothing but hype. They have a very young and inexperienced team as shown today when Klose got sent off. The only reason they looked good against the Aussies is because the Aussies are such and old team and ran out of legs. The English are in deep trouble as it was put very well today on ESPN they are all great players that play horrible together. Rooney has been nowhere to be found!!!!!! This world cup to me has been by far the best I've seen as it is proving that the beautiful game is only getting better and better gone are the days of the 8-9 to 0 blowouts of old and it makes mke very happy to see the entire world play such great ball. I enjoy the nil to nil games as they are like chess matches to see who can impose there will.

nudibranch said:
iCon said:

I paused it when the goal was being kicked and I think they were inside the goal box.
Problem is the lineman has the best angle and he never raised his flag.

As an ex club referee I would never make an offsides call when I had a linesmen with me. You have to rely on them to make that call, they are in a better position.

That call can never be marked as an off-side Edu comes from behind. A foul could have been called well on either team but never on Edu.
Let's hope for a stronger US next game from the beginning, they have to shoot for a solid win, the group is tight and hopefully this missed call by the ref does not have effect on the next game.
This cup has all past world champions for the first time in history; seems the French are sorta, kid-of-out of the competition if Uruguay and Mexico deal a pathetic draw (don't be surprised if they play LAME) is the sad thing of playing the "numbers"

Now how many of you will be up at 4:00 am for the Orange machine and the rising Sun?

Me too, been up at 4:00 just waiting for the games, yesterday I could not take it anymore so took a long nap with my kids in the afternoon; they really SLEPT !!!

Back