got ethical husbandry?

Light rails

[quote author=jkreefer link=topic=3180.msg38898#msg38898 date=1206589953]
where are the limit switches?
[/quote]Limit this :p.... I mean, I believe it to be within the motor unit, does that sound right ???

No limit switches to deal with. That's what's nice about it :D

Theres a circuit inside the motor that senses the load when the motor stops turning. Like when your brisket gets off center and the rotisserie gets stuck... or when your light fixture reaches the end of the travel. When that happens, the circuit reverses the motor direction :D

Jeremy, is that threaded rod stainless steel? Regular all-thread? Not zinc plated?

Looks like you guys welded up some nuts to a plate to make the traveler?

Are you going to use a shield between the traveler and the luminarc to catch any metal wear?

I originally was thinking to use acme threaded rod for better load bearing on the threads.

Now I'm thinking to use regular all-thread and just drill and tap a block of delrin for the traveler drive. It'll be self lubricating, and I can make it long enough so that there's not a whole lot of load per thread.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3180.msg38907#msg38907 date=1206600297]
Jeremy, is that threaded rod stainless steel? Regular all-thread? Not zinc plated?

Looks like you guys welded up some nuts to a plate to make the traveler?

Are you going to use a shield between the traveler and the luminarc to catch any metal wear?

I originally was thinking to use acme threaded rod for better load bearing on the threads.

Now I'm thinking to use regular all-thread and just drill and tap a block of delrin for the traveler drive. It'll be self lubricating, and I can make it long enough so that there's not a whole lot of load per thread.
[/quote]

Stainless threaded rod, no zinc.

Yep welded nuts to plate, the plate dictates the amount of travel acting as a stop (or a switch direction as in this case :D).

AFA wear, I'll spooge a little silicone grease on the rod in hopes that will trap any wear, the rod has been run out with a cordless drill several times to break it in and doesn't seem to be shedding any material.

The thing about this setup is the metal plate is doing the weight bearing not the rod, it has a thick slippery enamel and slides quite easy.

The Delrin is a very good idea, I'd imagine it would make for a smooth travel, I didn't know you could tap it.

Rather than reading all 5 pages...

So is this ligth going to just go back and forth as long as the light is on (for better coverage) or is it just supposed to like a sun rise & sun set? I'm thinking you are going for the first option but was just wondering.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3180.msg38916#msg38916 date=1206633409]
Rather than reading all 5 pages...

So is this ligth going to just go back and forth as long as the light is on (for better coverage) or is it just supposed to like a sun rise & sun set? I'm thinking you are going for the first option but was just wondering.
[/quote]I didn't really read your post so it's difficult for me to answer your question ;D

Just back and forth Levi, I'm not too concerned with trying to create a "natural environment" in the non natural environment of an aquarium

I'd be worried a bit about the rod, I have tools that are "stainless" (cheap chinese made crap mind you :D) that are rusting out in my garage from the moisture of the fishroom in the back (or at least that's my theory).

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3180.msg38918#msg38918 date=1206635604]
I'd be worried a bit about the rod, I have tools that are "stainless" (cheap chinese made crap mind you :D) that are rusting out in my garage from the moisture of the fishroom in the back (or at least that's my theory).
[/quote]I'm glad someone is worried :D

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3180.msg38952#msg38952 date=1206649113]
Then build a shrinking machine and get me a pico version. :D
[/quote]I'd need to get some erector set stuff for that, I can see it now, yep, a couple of Leggos ;D

Id be suprised if that stainless rusted . if in fact it did you could always run a die down 30" of aluminum rod and solve that all together . ;)

It would be cool to see this in some sort of non metallic version . The one thing I would be concerned about would be the amount of torque it takes to get it to return. I would love to take one of these motors apart to see if there is a sensitivity adjustment .

[quote author=hooked link=topic=3180.msg38973#msg38973 date=1206664732]
Id be suprised if that stainless rusted . if in fact it did you could always run a die down 30" of aluminum rod and solve that all together . ;)

It would be cool to see this in some sort of non metallic version . The one thing I would be concerned about would be the amount of torque it takes to get it to return. I would love to take one of these motors apart to see if there is a sensitivity adjustment .
[/quote]I'll take Norman's apart before I give it to him ;)

BTW, First coat of Varathane is down, almost cured, and ready for another :'(, I mean :D, there that's better.

I've run aground, time to get some beer, anyone need anything?

[quote author=hooked link=topic=3180.msg38976#msg38976 date=1206665277]
can you grab me a big bag of money while your up ?

[/quote]OK let me find my ski mask and I'll be back!

Back