Cali Kid Corals

Local Source for plumbing parts

mray2660

Supporting Member
We are in the process of doing the plumbing on our new 120g and we are looking for local source for plumbing fixtures. What I am looking for is
1” Schedule 80 Straight Male Insert Fitting. I ordered online 3/4" by mistake. I was hoping to find a local source. Home Depot does carry these items.

Mike

Harrington Plastics - http://www.harringtonplastics.com/ -
Hayward Branch
30587 Huntwood Avenue
Hayward, CA 94544
(510) 476-1311

Ewing
http://www.ewing1.com/
(plenty of them in the Bay Area)

both should have it, although I would suspect Harrington would be closed on the weekend.

Also, don't forget to check the "Local Businesses" link on the left side. We've logged a lot of resources in there besides LFS's :)
http://www.bareefers.org/home/businesses

Ewing doesn't always have the best selection (depends on the store).
You can try Cal Steam also, they have stores throughout the bay area.

gimmito said:

Huh I must be hitting all the right stores then as I have never found that. FWIW I've been to over a dozen locations now :D The San Carlos one ws the only one I found had a semi poor selection, but that was due to a supply issue at the time.

Thank you for the assistance. Industrial Supply (Old Ace Hardware store) in San Carlos had everything that I need. I was on the way to Ewing but they are closed on Saturday.

Regards

Mike

GreshamH said:
gimmito said:

Huh I must be hitting all the right stores then as I have never found that. FWIW I've been to over a dozen locations now :D The San Carlos one ws the only one I found had a semi poor selection, but that was due to a supply issue at the time.

Unfortunately that's the one I went to. :X

Well it's been years since I have been there (over 5) so things probably have changed :)

mray2660 said:
Thank you for the assistance. Industrial Supply (Old Ace Hardware store) in San Carlos had everything that I need. I was on the way to Ewing but they are closed on Saturday.

Regards

Mike

You should enter them into the Local Resource page :)

So a bit of a side question: What is with all the Schedule-80 plumbing??? :~
I mean it has the extra-cool factor, sure. And is a better color for inside the tank.

But what is the need for the extra strength?
Especially as it does cut down a bit on flow due to thicker wall pipe.
And of course it costs more and is hard to find.

I can have schedule 40 in the dirt or sun for years, hit it with a shovel, and it handles 60 psi easy.
So I can't really see how low pressure aquarium usage could need anything more.

Maybe on a bulkhead. On the other hand, I prefer the bulkhead to break before the tank.

Plus, it flexes less, which means more loads on the tank/pump if something is a bit unaligned.

rygh your definitely the odd one out with the sch 40 in the sun for years comment. We have to replace our sch40 that is out in the sun every other year. Most aquaculture facilities have to do it more then that. Our friends in HI have to do it every 9 months or so. They have pipes blowing left and right and trust me, you do not want to get hit by flying PVC shards.

People get it for the color, for indoors the strength isn't needed.

GreshamH said:
rygh your definitely the odd one out with the sch 40 in the sun for years comment.

Shoot even without the sun sch 40 gets brittle, try hitting it with a PVC cutter and see what happens.

At the abalone farm we (I) learned that lesson REAL quick, thank god abs can stand to be exposed for a while :D

Very true. I stupidly tried to cut some old PVC on a table saw years ago... it BLEW up into a million shards, but thankfully I did not get hit.

Yep, only use the fresh stuff... My g/fs father cannot stand to throw anything out, he's constantly fixing the plumbing around the house due to reusing old PVC, and he's a retired excavation contractor. All I can do is watch and shake my head, talking doesn't help one bit, god forbid you go out and spend $3.00 on a few fittings and some PVC, or throw something in the garbage for that matter.

Very interesting.
Maybe the heat, alkalinity level, or something has an effect as well.

I looked online at some PVC pipe organization : www.uni-bell.org, and they say it is good for 100 years.
I have certainly had that thin junk crack on me of course. But that cracks brand new.

Well, having bought all those sched-40 fittings and pipe already, not going to switch.
But given the minimal cost difference, probably wish I had gone the other way, just to be safe.

huh?

:) What is "best" isn't always the best, at any rate. I haven't done the cost analysis of sch80 and sch40, but I would suspect the reason every hatchery I have ever been to has been mainly sch40. I bet it's cheaper to replace it a couple times before sch80 pays off. I also don't know how much longer it would last, does it really have any added UV protection? The main use I see it with is high heat or short run large pipes.

I've never done an outside job using it, I can tell you that much. I almost never use it, even for aquariums. The main use for me is the unions of B-valves. I love quality parts and you can't find those in sch 40.

I was able to find most of the schedule 80 basics at my local hardware store but there are some items that they don't carry. Is there a place anyone can recommend for the aquarium specialty parts--nozzles, flexible flow directors, etc. ?

Back