Kessil

Looking for fish suggestion.

Recently, I've had horrible luck with carpet surfers. Firefish(asking for it), six-line(given),royal gramma(yeah, I know) and most recently, a yellow-tail damsel(rediculous). It's a 20 gal nano with no hood and I intend on keeping it that way to maximize evaporation and CO2 dissipation. Currently there's a female occelaris clown, green chromis, banggai, PJ and a lizardfish with a colony of zoas, mushrooms and hermits. Before I get a bunch of crap on how my tank is overstocked, what's another reef-safe fish I can add to this tank that won't jump and kill itself?

well hell I think you have enough fish already... ;)

Alright got that out of the way, have you thought about any of the smaller gobies? like a clown goby or something? I think fish jumping is always going to be an issue if there are any aggressive fish in there, but if you can get fish to fill a particular niche that doesn't infringe on another's you could be good.

You are now super limitted since you opted for a lizard fish. They'll chase/kill most gobies/small fish.

Fish that I've had success with on an open top:
Fox face (way too big for your tank :p)
Royal Gramma
Tail Spot Blenny
Court Jester Goby (Rainford's Goby)
B/W clown

Fish that I turned to fish jerky

Wrasses

PS, I too think your tank is well stocked already :)

Factor-5 said:
Recently, I've had horrible luck with carpet surfers. Firefish(asking for it), six-line(given),royal gramma(yeah, I know) and most recently, a yellow-tail damsel(rediculous). It's a 20 gal nano with no hood and I intend on keeping it that way to maximize evaporation and CO2 dissipation. Currently there's a female occelaris clown, green chromis, banggai, PJ and a lizardfish with a colony of zoas, mushrooms and hermits. Before I get a bunch of crap on how my tank is overstocked, what's another reef-safe fish I can add to this tank that won't jump and kill itself?
Sorry, but this isn't bad luck. It's more like you simply want more fish than comfortably fit in a 20. The excessive surfing is a good indicator. And understand I'm no paragon of virtue, my first SW tank was a 29
w/ a yellow tang and a picasso trigger. So instead of recommending a fish, I'm gonna recommend a tank upgrade. Heck, I'll give you the big acrylic tank outside my house that needs some buffing. You could put all you got in there and still have room for more. It's a stupid tank for a reef (like a 60g xtra tall) but it would be good for fish. So there you go, a little crap and an offer of a tank.

Gomer said:
Fish that I've had success with on an open top:
Fox face (way too big for your tank :p)
Royal Gramma
Tail Spot Blenny
Court Jester Goby (Rainford's Goby)
B/W clown

Fish that I turned to fish jerky

Wrasses

PS, I too think your tank is well stocked already :)

Only the Foxface could hang with the lizardfish and IMO a FF is too large for his bio-load.

bookfish said:
Factor-5 said:
Sorry, but this isn't bad luck. It's more like you simply want more fish than comfortably fit in a 20. The excessive surfing is a good indicator. And understand I'm no paragon of virtue, my first SW tank was a 29
w/ a yellow tang and a picasso trigger. So instead of recommending a fish, I'm gonna recommend a tank upgrade. Heck, I'll give you the big acrylic tank outside my house that needs some buffing. You could put all you got in there and still have room for more. It's a stupid tank for a reef (like a 60g xtra tall) but it would be good for fish. So there you go, a little crap and an offer of a tank.

Ahh. The hard truth. Very generous of you to offer a used tank and I just may take you up on your offer as soon as I can get a stand for it.

I agree with the other posters about over-stocking your nano tank. If you sell or trade some of your fish, I would recommend getting wire 1/4 inch wire mesh from Lowe's gardening section and cutting it (with wire snips) to fit the top of your tank to preserve the remaining fish. The wire mesh cover will not increase heat, will let light through, and will prevent the fish from jumping.

Back