High Tide Aquatics

Looking for medium-large "project" tank

jonouyaaang

Supporting Member
Hi all,

First post here, newly joined supporting member!

I'm currently looking for a tank that I can work on / refurbish in hopes of taking my time in setting up a first-time reef. I lean towards an 75-100 gallon range overflow tank, glass or acrylic, but I am more than happy to consider any other suggestions / advice!

I'm wanting to work on a "project" type of tank, because I like the hands-on aspect of refurbishing and creating a new setup (also the savings are a plus too haha).

I am a long-time lover of aquariums, but have only had planted tanks thus far. Now that I am out of college, setting up a reef is much more approachable. I plan to house Easy-Medium species, such as soft and/or LPS corals, and generally hardy / reliable fishes & inverts.

Also, I will be joining the upcoming corals and cocktails talk with my girlfriend (I have successfully converted her to the hobby lol), so if any of you will be there, I'd be glad to meet some of y'all!

Even if there aren't any potential opportunities, I'm more than happy to hear any pieces of advice or guidance as well. Thank you!

Hi and Welcome!

I don’t have a specific tank in mind for you, but they do come up regularly around here, both free and cheap. Sounds like you have experience, but just keep in mind that using using tanks and equipment that you’ve refurbished is inherently more prone to issues and frustrations, sometimes catastrophic failures. With the right mind set the process can be more fun though. We have lots of members around here with refurb and DIY experience.

Hi and Welcome!

I don’t have a specific tank in mind for you, but they do come up regularly around here, both free and cheap. Sounds like you have experience, but just keep in mind that using using tanks and equipment that you’ve refurbished is inherently more prone to issues and frustrations, sometimes catastrophic failures. With the right mind set the process can be more fun though. We have lots of members around here with refurb and DIY experience.
Thank you! If I got a glass tank, I was thinking that I would apply generous extra coats of silicone, even if there are no present sealing issues. I'm more than okay with erring on the side of "too much silicone" rather than "too little... + dead fish & water damage" Do you think this approach might help remove the possibility of potential issues?

Thank you! If I got a glass tank, I was thinking that I would apply generous extra coats of silicone, even if there are no present sealing issues. I'm more than okay with erring on the side of "too much silicone" rather than "too little... + dead fish & water damage" Do you think this approach might help remove the possibility of potential issues?
It’s a good thought. Used tanks and equipment that need more TLC are always more prone to failure. I’m not really trying to dissuade you. I’ve just seen a lot of tanks start out with this approach and end in frustration. But also plenty that take this approach and do great. Other members around here can give your their experience and thoughts, and a lot of it depends on personality and what you like about the hobby (ie goals of inexpensive vs fun with DIY), certainly there are lots of ways to enjoy this.

Also having extra saltwater on hand or ability to make more quickly can be a lifesaver plus barrels or brutt trash cans that could be used for live stock temporarily in case that goes for new and used systems
Best of luck
Paul

Back