Jestersix

Looking to buy a new desktop (Not a Mac) Suggestions

I dunno about you, but if you only build a system every 5-6 years, I say step up to the plate. Get something that will last you another 5 or so years at the minimum.

With that in mind, I say go quadcore and get 6GB+ of RAM. If you're wondering why go this route. It's because:

1) Adobe CS3/CS4 can eat all the RAM that you shove into it (I run XP64 with 6GB of RAM; on CS3 it runs well; on CS4 it's taxing the system)
2) Multi-tasking. I like the ability to do multiple things at once (e.g. photo processing, video encoding, etc. at the same time; or opening up hundreds of pictures in Adobe Camera RAW)
3) HD encoding - if you're considering any of the HD handy cams out there (home videos; processing/encoding for blu-ray)

I'd go with the i7 chip with all the RAM that you can cram into whatever motherboard you go with. Use onboard sound and video (or get a cheap video card that's hdcp capable).

See that is my thought too.

To me, I would rather shell out the extra bucks to have something that will last several years as well as the memory hog programs that are to come.

I've had a few experiences with HP, and although their hardware might be good(yay for the engineers), their firmware, software, and support sucks.

I found HP sucky enough that I had to post this review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1JQ63HQC1GADE/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

And that's not even about problems with their computers.

Maybe they're better nowadays, but I've had no interest in trying them again.

Back