Our mission

LPS trouble

Not only chalices but acans too have shown tissue recession at the edges, SPS are doing well and everything else seems happy.
Guess I have to find the "fun" part of this issue...

What Tony said. Most often it seems to be low Mg. I fooled myself recently though.

My Mg and alk were fine, and generally Ca doesn't get out of line on its own if you keep up with 3 part. So I'd gotten to checking Ca infrequently.

Turned out my Ca had gotten way low. I believe what happened was that I had been doing water changes with freshly mixed Salinity that was cloudy. The cloudy part didn't redissolve, so my Ca kept dropping.

Watch your s.g. if you correct for this with the Ca part of your 3 part.

I ended up losing a bunch of lps, which was a real bummer.

If you use Salinity salt, mix it up really really really slowly. Just slowly is not good enough.

Humm, I'll check Calcium with a different test, everything seems in check.
I noticed my sand has tons of tube worms and wonder if that would be a cause; LPS were on the sand and over a piece of egg-crate, worms easily reach the corals edge. then again I had couple chalices on rock, away from the worms and same thing happened.
I use Seachem Reefsalt and at least a week of constant mixing. I'll test it too before the water change.

I went on a 3 week vacation a few months ago and came home to receding/dead chalices and acans. I checked the parameters and everything was ok except for my alk which was at 5dkh. :(

xcaret said:
I use Seachem Reefsalt and at least a week of constant mixing. I'll test it too before the water change.

My last batch of Seachem Reef was way the hell low on Mg. Seachem sent me a bunch of Mg supplement after I let them know.

You don't need to mix that long as long as it's clear.

Mmmmm... at the first sign of trouble, need to check the Chemistry Trifecta, Mag, Ca, AND Alk... all the corals I've killed by being lazy and only checking two of the three... *sigh*

IME, the API test kits need to be tossed after 6mo as well.

Back