Neptune Aquatics

Mac help

So today I pulled it out again and I got it to boot only to the hdd using OPTION and power button at the same time but it only shows the Macintosh HD, no recovery partition or other options to do so. It does show the wifi field to connect the book to internet but nothing else.
Turns out this mac has a different type of hdd than what I’m familiar with.
I enter the correct network password and shows it’s connected but when clicking on the MacHD just keeps on the spinning apple thingy. I believe the recovery partition was completely erased...

image.jpg

Can you get to OS X utilities, like erase hard drive? CMD-R
Usually you reformat and reinstall.
That may be corrupted as well though.

My suggestion then is to create a USB bootable install drive, and use that.
If you have another MAC, probably not so hard. But might be an issue from a PC.

Can’t get into utilities, it’s the only part I can get into; the other Mac doesn’t have any ports, just the usb-c? and I have no adapter for it.
I’ll work on the bootable USB, have to go see my sister, she has a Mac too

Downloaded Sierra OX on a different mac and followed instructions, had a usb drive and all then I ran into this messagen
I thought the USB drive was defective or X then used another mac to download and used a different USB drive and same thing...
Thinking if I have to hit my head on a wall, might as well get a half gig drive and replace it and maybe the installation will be successful if the SSD is the issue?

20180805_211640.jpg

I’d just bring your laptop to Apple store and have them diagnose it, they won’t charge you unless you want them to fix it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beyond me, but sounds like others have seen similar.
https://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/53s5ym/sierra_install_not_working_this_copy_of_the/
So more of a problem with the image on the usb, not hardware.
Will try that, thanks

I’d just bring your laptop to Apple store and have them diagnose it, they won’t charge you unless you want them to fix it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, I’m ready to do that if Mark’s link does not help with the issue I experience.

Probably getting that message since you have an older machine and it won't install Sierra directly. You'll most likely have to install an older version of the software that the laptop shipped with and then upgrade to Sierra (and High Sierra if the hardware is up to it).

Replacing the HDD on the machine bypasses that since it won't detect anything on the new HDD. It'll then boot into disk utility for partitioning the new HDD and pull the OS that the laptop shipped with.

Probably getting that message since you have an older machine and it won't install Sierra directly. You'll most likely have to install an older version of the software that the laptop shipped with and then upgrade to Sierra (and High Sierra if the hardware is up to it).

Replacing the HDD on the machine bypasses that since it won't detect anything on the new HDD. It'll then boot into disk utility for partitioning the new HDD and pull the OS that the laptop shipped with.

According to Apple, it is supposed to be supported for Sierra; at first I was thinking Yosemite, El Capitan then do the upgrade but since the Mac did not bring the menu to restore itself, is when I kind of knew it was to be a bit of a head ache for me.
It will be done, it will be done...

The hardware might support Sierra, but it won't auto recovery from Sierra. It'll auto recover whatever OS it shipped with and then you'll have to manually update it to Sierra. It'll continue to give you that error regardless of how many times you have a working Sierra bootup drive/disk.

As mentioned, sticking a new HDD in it, will force it to download and boot up with the OS that it originally shipped with. You can then just log into the app store and pull Sierra for the update. Those MacBooks used 10.7 Lion when they were shipped in 2011 for reference.

FINALLY !
After fighting with technology, the help from you guys led me to finally get the OS to load.
Time on the Mac wasn’t set but did get to know Macs a bit more.

BIG THANKS TO YOU GUYS!

So it was the internal clock?

A combination of issues; the OS download had that folder I had to delete in order for the Mac to proceed; after that, it allowed me to go ti time.apple.com and fix the internal clock. Took a long time to restore but today is working.
Odd thing, my son’s Mac had a “cracked” screen yesterday and blamed it on everyone but himself leaving a laptop anywhere; today the wifey seems gonna buy her baby a new Mac. Hey, I can’t afford a used one!
I told my son yesterday he could use the one I was given but the baby’s mommy is buying him one...

Back