Cali Kid Corals

maculosus angel fish

I purchased this fish as a juvinile from Green marine a year ago. I love that fact that he is captived bred. he has grown from 1" into 3.5-4" and is beautiful. I always wanted one of these fish in my reef tank but was worried about him eating zoanthids and other corals. So far he eats zoanthids just like how I was afraid off ... lol ... but I love the fish so much that I will keep him in my reef tank. One coral that I hate the most is shrooms, well, I notice they are dissapearing so I think he is eating them. Its all about trade off in this hobby. He hasn't touched any sps.

He eats pellets, mysis, and any food I throw into the tank and is very hardy. A good community fish and haven't shown any agression.

I know some of you have also bought this fish when Green marine first offered them, please let me know how your fish is doing? Thanks

northbay-reefer said:
Gregory, you are going to make me work don't you? lol alright, I'll take a picture with my iphone latter. :D

I just love seeing pics of fish or corals that someone has a special affinity for.....

-Gregory

Mine and another checked out.
Congrats. That's wonderful to hear that it got to 4". It will be a sight to see, so pics please.

Aw sorry to hear that, mine took several weeks to start eating pellets, I had to try different food like mysis and brine to keep him going until he starts taking small pellets. Now he only goes after the big pellets but he is nice and fat.

Ok this is the best I can do with my iphone for now, he is very active. I'll have to use my Cannon Rebelxi to catch him.

photo-5.jpg

I have one of them. It currently live in my 300 fowlr. There are some mushrooms and leathers and some GSP for angels to pick at. It is about 4" and feeds on all offered foods. It looks just like the one in the above pic.

I have 3 angels in my tank and none of them picked at the clams. I am going to add an Asfur next :D and maybe even an emperor

GDawson, the leather is an electric green sinularia, the ihpone didn't pick up it's true color. I'll have that coral and the tyree green toad stool on dbtc once I can make a trip to one of the future meeting.

northbay-reefer said:
GDawson, the leather is an electric green sinularia, the ihpone didn't pick up it's true color. I'll have that coral and the tyree green toad stool on dbtc once I can make a trip to one of the future meeting.

Frags of each would be most appreciated. I have elected to eschew the SPS route and focus on softies and LPS. I really like the movement and garden feel they give a reef. I already have one electric green sinularia but yours looks like a different morph or variety. Do you feed yours? I just started with some oyster feast that I won at the last raffle. The sinularia actively feeds when it's introduced. Pyto-Feast never elicited a response. Other softies that like it and actively feed include a green Sinularia flexibillis from the last frag swap as well as a green nepthia from DBTC.

-Gregory

I had my Mac Angel for 1 month but had to exchange him back to Green Marine. Very beautiful and cute. He absolutely devastated my LPS (I knew the risks but wanted him anyways). He started with the most expensive stuff first (Acans and Chalices), then worked his way down to zoas and clams. I was amazed how much carnage a little fishy could cause. I'm glad they're doing well but my little experiment proved to me that they need to be in FOWLR tank only.

Yeah Angel can be addictive, mine haven't touched my chalices yet so I am lucky I guess. If he touch any my bazookajoe,miami,alien, or grape water melon I'll be taking out the fish trap for sure :D he did ate one of my elephant ear colony so I had to move the other one up high so hopefully. I am giving him more food through out the day so he will nip a little less.

Dawson, when I frag those I'll let you know.

Back