Our mission

Made my first frags today!

Well, being an excited newbie (4 month old tank, not much stuff in it yet...) I made my first frags in preparation for the swap this week.

I really only have one coral that is big enough to make any sizable frag... I broke apart a mother colony of zoanthids with neon centers into 5 pieces, with the one big one which I saved.

The other four pieces have 8-10 polyps each. I had to superglue some loose ones back on....

Then there were some stray pieces around my tank not big enough to seem to qualify as a frag (or at least would have been really lame) that I attached to two of the pieces... one red mushrrom which dropped last month and I finally rounded up, plus some polyps of green zoanthids that were loose. Glued each to different pieces of the frags.

It's all sitting in a plastic container with holes punched in it and the top off on the bottom of my tank to keep them from straying. Nobody's going to be too excited about them, but wanted to try my best to participate in the spirit of the swap.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to superglue the loose pieces on. The rock broke easily with a chisel. Not too exciting for you old hats, but not as scary as I thought it would be as a newbie!

Look forward to meeting everyone in a week.

The frags seem like they're doing ok. My mushroom escaped.... I was positive he was glued down well. Look forward to meeting everyone in a few days!

Yes, well done. Mushrooms are nearly impossible to glue, I've settled, pinned and caged them successfully in the past. Haven't tried the blender method yet but I do hear it works.

Back