Neptune Aquatics

Mark's Small 29 gallon Tank (Wakskat)

Ok so I am going to start a tank thread for my 29 gallon that has gone through ups and downs and 2 moves in the 3.5 years that I have had it. I knew nothing about reef tanks when I started so I would say that it was really in the last 2 years that the tank has taken on this form. Everything in this tank is captive raised or from someone elses tank to mine as a frag which is very important to me. I had all of my zoos melt away on me ( I neglected the tank while finishing a hard year in Grad school last year). I am getting the water parameters back in order and doing more regular water changes so hopefully that helps.

Stats-

29 gallon standard tank- I drilled it for two drains and added my own glass overflow (yes I used a dremel to cut all the teeth)
150W 14K Phoenix
40 gallon sump
2 X 65W PC for frags and chaeto
Mag7 return through SQWID
Koralaria 1 on right side of tank.
Top off with Kalk using dual float switch powering aqualifter
5 gallon water change every 2 weeks

Left 1yr ago
DSCN1656.jpg

Right 1yr ago
DSCN1655.jpg

Top Down Now
DSC_0415-1.jpg

I always like growth sequences so here is one.

June 07
DSCN1712-1.jpg

Jan 08 Colony on the left
DSC_0422.jpg

Both colonies are the same but I got the second one later from Bryan (seminolecpa). I forgot the name of this coral, maybe Bryan will remind us.

-Mark

This is one of my oldest pieces that I got at the 2nd BAR frag swap I went to.

Alien eye July 05 fresh from swap
4eefabb3.jpg

September 05
AlienEye.jpg

January 06
DSCN1015.jpg

April 06
DSCN1066.jpg

Oct 06
CIMG0073.jpg

Dec 06
DSCN1644.jpg

June 07
DSCN1731.jpg

Jan 08- no more XM 20K now Phoenix 14K
DSC_0423.jpg

What happened to the blastos and rics you got from me? did they make it? My blasto colony died a long time ago.

Hey Wakstat,
Your 29 Gallon looks amazing! Im starting a 30 gallon very soon, hopefully next week. Any tips?
How often do you change your water? Also, people are telling me going from a 55 gallon to a 30 gallon is going to be harder to keep the water quality consistant, have you had much of a problem?

Honestly I probably only change 5 gallons once a month. I think the best thing you can do is get an auto top off and dose kalk or two part to keep up with calcium, but it really depends on the inhabitants. Also T5's or Metal Halids will help alot and allow you to keep almost any coral. Keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible. Finally, everything in my tank including the fish are captive raised so they are much hardier.

Mark.

I think Im going with one of those Nano tanks ( the all in one deal with a protein skimmer) but it's probably going to just be power compacts. I never heard of an auto top off-do fish stores have those? Thanks for the suggestions, Ill start putting up photos as my tank begins, pretty exciting times. I think it will mostly be mushrooms, zoo's etc... that are able to live off non metal halid lighting.

Yo Wakstak, can you put up a photo of your whole tank in one photo, like an overview shot... Im trying to get ideas for setting up my live rock, I want to be able to put as much stuff in it, but also have tunnels a plenty for any fish to swim through.

any tips?

To keep your hands out of the water, do you use long utensils or gloves? The gloves I've seen look like they would be awkward to use.

Back