High Tide Aquatics

Mixing Radions and Kessils?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
So my current lighting plan for my 6 x 2.5' tank is 2x G6 XR30s and 2x G5 XR30s (given I already have these lights).

Thinking about my long-term lighting plan, though, and considering swapping to 3x G6 XR30s for coloration and 2x Kessil A500x for shimmer/SPS growth. Just curious if anybody else has done something like this before and, if so, their experiences/thoughts. Thanks!

I think the track lighting that Cos is using at Cali Kid is pretty awesome. Hardly any glare at all and makes the top of the tank look so open.

Reactions: JVU
with your scape, i dont think it is needed. but for me, you should look into a hybrid style with xr30s and t5's for your application.

if you are going all full sps dominate, i would use all the 5x xr30s you have and not think about it - more par the better.

have you considered adding just a couple kessil 360x with your current g6? It’s a great compromise. My brother runs that on his tank. I run 2 Neptune sky and kessil 360x on my reefer 525

I run 3 XR30s and 2 Kessil A360WEs. I love the growth and PAR the Radions give out but there is a clear "stillness" look in the water that I don't like without that Kessil Shimmer. I made a video awhile back that you can see here (this is 2 XR15s and 1 XR30 but you get the idea). Kessils are on and shimmering until 20 seconds Then the water goes "still"

I think the track lighting that Cos is using at Cali Kid is pretty awesome. Hardly any glare at all and makes the top of the tank look so open.
What is he running? Do you know how far off the tank? I've been thinking if I redo my lighting I'd want to do this.

I’m running three XR30 G5 Blue and two 360X on my 48x30x20 Elos 120XL. Overkill on lights, but I think the layout looks better with the two Kessils sitting in between the Radions for symmetry. I thought of using AI Blades but it makes the light fixture too bulky looking for my taste. The Kessils stays on an hour later from when the Radions shuts off so I can enjoy the shimmer more at night. Check out my tank journal if you want to see how I mounted the Kessils to the RMS track.
IMG_4786.jpeg

Last edited:
Back