Reef nutrition

Mounting overflow off center on 180’ tank

JustinBolton

Supporting Member
In the process of building my 180 aquarium, I know it’s standard ops to mount it dead center. It occurred to me, if I put the overflow on the left side, “6” off the end, the path for my overflow is rather simple since I plan on running my sump flush left in the stand. This also makes the return a single line and much easier to dump on the right side.

In addition servicing the box (and return) would be much easier as it’s not tucked behind the stand, 3’ from either side.

Plan on going CDA for my take, here is a standard setup they recommend.

Is there any flaws in my thinking? Outside symmetry I cannot find any issues.
IMG_4370.png

In the process of building my 180 aquarium, I know it’s standard ops to mount it dead center. It occurred to me, if I put the overflow on the left side, “6” off the end, the path for my overflow is rather simple since I plan on running my sump flush left in the stand. This also makes the return a single line and much easier to dump on the right side.

In addition servicing the box (and return) would be much easier as it’s not tucked behind the stand, 3’ from either side.

Plan on going CDA for my take, here is a standard setup they recommend.

Is there any flaws in my thinking? Outside symmetry I cannot find any issues. View attachment 49470

There are plenty of tanks with corner overflows or an overflow on one side with a single return on the other side. So an overflow can definitely work anywhere. I’d only say that a centered overflow in the middle will usually provide more even surface skimming with less potential for “dead spots” where bio-film can swirl. Just make sure there’s good surface agitation if this does occur for you.

My slight OCD wouldn’t allow me to do this though. ;) I like symmetry.

I was looking at peninsula tanks for awhile with corner overflows. My logic was return on one side, overflow on the other, rotating water flow.

The downside with the a full corner is you only have two sides surface skimming versus 3. Minor issue though. My frag tank is setup this way, with a ghost overflow about an inch off the right side.

If the overflow was one that went down to the bottom, versus just a top one, I think it might be harder to look clean if it's not a corner or centered.

There are plenty of tanks with corner overflows or an overflow on one side with a single return on the other side. So an overflow can definitely work anywhere. I’d only say that a centered overflow in the middle will usually provide more even surface skimming with less potential for “dead spots” where bio-film can swirl. Just make sure there’s good surface agitation if this does occur for you.

My slight OCD wouldn’t allow me to do this though. ;) I like symmetry.
I feel you on the symmetry, also dual returns will be optimal as I plan on running 1200 gph with a large UV. I’ll prob do it center as there has to be a reason I will regret it and also forces me to up my plumbing game.

I was looking at peninsula tanks for awhile with corner overflows. My logic was return on one side, overflow on the other, rotating water flow.

The downside with the a full corner is you only have two sides surface skimming versus 3. Minor issue though. My frag tank is setup this way, with a ghost overflow about an inch off the right side.

If the overflow was one that went down to the bottom, versus just a top one, I think it might be harder to look clean if it's not a corner or centered.
Center is def optimal for surface skimming. Too bad I can’t do a coast-to-coast and have the plumbing exit on the left side, a compromise if you will.

I agree with the biofilm aspect that Randy already brought up. When I ran a peninsula in the past I’d have 2 about 10 minute return pump delays setup as feeding times on my Apex, one in the AM right before lights turned on and the second as lights started to ramp down in the mid-late afternoon. Maxspect Gyre setup on opposite end would also ramp up (nutrient export) during this time to help push all the surface water toward the overflow box as the tank drained into the sump to clear any film that might’ve settled on the top.

Alternatively, you can also run your return on the opposite side of the tank as Richie mentioned. Originally my returns came into the middle of the tank with Locline pointed toward each side, I later took this approach and changed my return setup to go all the way to the opposite end of the tank pointed toward the overflow as I didn’t drill the return holes and just ran it over the tank inside the canopy. I’ve also seen people add an additional return over their peninsula tanks that have returns drilled also to avoid additional cords from wave makers.

Back