Reef nutrition

MP40's or K-4's?

I'm currently running two K-4's , but am thinking of upgrading to two MP40's. It's a significant cost, and am wondering if the MP40's are worth the investment when I currently have no problems with my K-4's...

So talk me into it :)

So are you upgrading your lights, tank or pumps? Or all? ;) MP40's are fun to play with. Lots of options and modes. Good for different patterns or water movement

For some the smaller visual foot print, less heat and all the control options makes all the difference in the world... to those that think it's too costly, it's too costly. IMO it's worth it, but that is just my opinion. There is no fact that makes it a worthy investment, just opinion.

I mean, I currently have two K-4's that work fine. No issues with cyano and I like the flow. However, if the upgrade to 2 MP40's will make a huge difference, then I'll def. consider it.

Con, that sounds good, but is it worth the extra 500+ dollars ? Like Jess said :)

rgonzalez said:
Greg,

Did you run anything before the MP-10's? What do you like about them?

Yes, years ago I had regular powerheads that were not able to do anything but full flow all the time. They were bulky and ugly in the tank, nothing like the new prop pumps like the koralias and vortechs. The best thing about the vortechs are the different wave patterns pre-programmed into the controller. The wireless ones even allow multiple pumps to work together to do alternate flow, sync, anti-sync modes.

3yrs on a pump like that is a long time. I wouldn't buy then for 250 each if it has been that long. Lots of times pumps as old as those may need bearings/wetsides replaced. Other thing to find out about a pump that old is what kind of driver it has.

Personally I think vortechs in general are worth it. I have 7 of them. lol

they usually sell for about 300 shipped on he BST threads on RC. So not bad. I have an MP10 and I really like it. I also have Ks on another tank and they get the job done but with boring flow patterns.

I would def go with the mp-40, I have had both the 40's give a wider flow, different type of flow patterns that are controlable. I got my 40 at a really good deal brand new when the new Ecosmart model was coming out people were trying to get rid of old stock for new.

IMO if im buying a piece of used equipment that cost that much i rather buy new, you dont know how it was used before or really what condition inside parts are in.....

with pumps anything can be worn inside and it look very nice outside

I have two MP-10s, and they are pretty nice.

But one distinct con I was surprised by:
They stick out a long ways on the outside of the tank.
It is surprisingly ugly if you put them on the ends. Rather runs the aesthetic of a nice stand.
But great for the back.
And of course, looks better inside the tank.

Oh, and the MP-10s do not handle 3/4 acrylic.
In fact, I hear it can be a bit of an issue at times on an MP-40. Hard to keep aligned, a bit more noise.

I went with MP40's. Switched because I went SPS. I guess it would depend on what you have in your tank also. If you want the wave motion you can always get a controller and some pumps made for wave makers like the Evolution or the Sicce pump. But the footprint and taking a part/cleaning is an advantage of the MP40. I'm happy with mine.

If it's an MP40 (no wireless at all) I wouldn't spend more than $200 and probably would rather see it in the $150 range for a 3 year old one. There are so many potential issues with the old vortechs that can end up being a money pit, new power supply $50, new magnet $20, new motor if it makes sound $175 (or whatever it is), so you got to be damn certain that you're not paying the price of a new one with all the bells and whistles ($450). I have bought my share of used vortech equipment from people within the club (trusted sources) and all of them needed some sort of repair($) within a month.

sfsuphysics said:
If it's an MP40 (no wireless at all) I wouldn't spend more than $200 and probably would rather see it in the $150 range for a 3 year old one. There are so many potential issues with the old vortechs that can end up being a money pit, new power supply $50, new magnet $20, new motor if it makes sound $175 (or whatever it is), so you got to be damn certain that you're not paying the price of a new one with all the bells and whistles ($450). I have bought my share of used vortech equipment from people within the club (trusted sources) and all of them needed some sort of repair($) within a month.

+1 Mine has cost me some cheese for sure, 2 wet sides and a power supply all in less than one year, just get a new ones.

Back