High Tide Aquatics

My 170g cube

Well presumably you have a cat, otherwise there are other things to question about having cat food. But is the ATO open? Perhaps the cat was drinking out of it? I mean I find catfood in every water dish around the property just because they have a knack for letting stuff fall back in that was stuffed in a cheek or something (I have large cats)

(and by large I mean fat)

Well presumably you have a cat, otherwise there are other things to question about having cat food. But is the ATO open? Perhaps the cat was drinking out of it? I mean I find catfood in every water dish around the property just because they have a knack for letting stuff fall back in that was stuffed in a cheek or something (I have large cats)

(and by large I mean fat)
Part of the ATO is open. This was what I assumed happened as well.

I put the ATO system in a 5gal just that is now cat proof. I go through 2.5g of top off right now so that kind of sucks.

Got the frag tank plumbed and leak tested today. Just in time because a friend fragged a bunch of stuff in his tank and brought them over.

So much for finishing the skin for the stand today.

Got the used rapid led fixture wired up so the corals have some light tomorrow. It's been a hectic day.

Hoping to get the stand siding cut, painted and installed tomorrow. Still need to build the electronics cabinet for the new apex and put siding on the big tank.
442275ecf6896c6be42946b14440f786.jpg

Had a short section of half inch hose with sand vacuum attachment but it's not long enough to reach outside or a drain (I normally pump water out and then in for water changes).

Printed a half inch hose to garden hose adaptor.

Time to clean the bottom of the 30" tall tank without getting my armpit wet.

3d printing ftw.
773e2c9db87aadb48fbc621f0b9d9493.jpg

What id like to know how much it’s going to cost you monthly running the co2 scrubber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An update, I'm only about halfway through that 5 gal of CO2 scrubber media.

Using the solenoid so the Skimmer only pulls from the scrubber when the pH drops helped. I alternate swapping canisters, the pH goes over 8.5 if I change them both at the same time. When the first cannister is exhausted, the second one is only starting to change color. Move the partial cannister to the front and put the refilled one in the back.

Between the scrubber, the 20g refugium and dosing soda ash with lights off, my ph swings
Are more shallow.

I was reading that a clam releases sperm and then eggs in the wild to not self fertilization but honestly, no clue. Maybe the mollusks popping up were already on the corals and unnoticeable till now. One has gotten significantly bigger so maybe a few more weeks and I can ID whether or not its a maxima.

I drop highly enriched phytoplankton as well as reef roids mixture in my tank twice a week as well as feed my fish 4 times a day with bloodworms, mysis, pellets, and live brine. So I should have a good amount of nutrients in the water.

Online forums say photosynthesis for big clams is enough but I always like overfeeding haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did those mollusks ever turn into anything interesting?

you must be feeding all those tangs a lot of food!
a hungry fish is an angry fish
that's amazing
so many helps to reduce the aggression
They are well fed. Several strips of Nori a day, new life spectrum probiotic pellets in the afternoon and a broadcast feeding of the fish food I made (mysis, cyclopees, fish, mollusks, cepholapod, phytofeast, reef chilli/reef roids and amino acid) a few nights a week.

Fat an happy fish but with 200g+ water volume, pulling half a gallon of chaeto out of the fuge every week and doing 50g water changes every two weeks I am pretty consistently sitting at 10ppm for nitrates.

I had a spare channel on my doser so I started dosing Brightwell Aquatics Phosphate-E (lanthanum chloride) with the output directly in front of my Skimmer intake. 2ml/day keeps my phosphates 0.03-0.05

Most of my cyano is gone, probably from the rotting cat food in the ATO tank, but I have a few little patches left.

Fish are fat and healthy. My tank does have ich even though it went fallow for 10 weeks after Velvet killed almost everything. All the fish have been through qt. I don't know how I got ich in the system but I assume it's from not putting corals in qt before they hit the display. I'll see a spot on one of the tangs once in a while (always the blue tangs) but only once in the last year have I seen more than one spot on the same fish.

I have lost three fish in the last year, a blue chromis who had some kind of intestinal blockage, my leopard wrasse jumped out and my engineer goby stopped looking for food and died.

I don't know if the new probiotic foods really do anything to help the fish. The pellets don't sink worth a crap compared to the old pellets from the same company. I do notice that when the tangs poop now, it comes out as more of a nasty fog instead of solid chunks.

Back