Neptune Aquatics

My 170g cube

The substance that you're seeing being shot up is most likely some extra zooanthellae that they're ridding themselves of as they adjust to the lighting and nutrient levels. You'll know when clams actually spawn when your water column looks murky and you see both sperm and eggs being expelled.

Male and female.... so if you only have one clam, you either have a male or female.

Yea, whatever
There are several ways to have a successful tank. Telling someone to chase numbers that you think are right when they did not ask for advice is not going to get you the response you expect.

I've been around a while and have professional experience in the industry. If I need help, I'll ask for it ;)

I just went through the chopping posting of the JB; Do you just cut it in pieces?
I had the idea that cutting it straight middle of the mouth was the way to go.
Interesting... not that I’d do it.

I just went through the chopping posting of the JB; Do you just cut it in pieces?
I had the idea that cutting it straight middle of the mouth was the way to go.
Interesting... not that I’d do it.
I had a few babies from it moving around already. I cut one down the middle then each piece down the middle again to make 4 from one individual. While pulling the plug off, two pieces of foot was left behind and grew into their own frags.

I still have one jawbreaker frag in the display and I'm tempted to cut up the natural babies in a few weeks

Man, if you didn't know this post was about coral, I would sound like a psychopath.

Happy Favia
094f924c5ce83bdca3fe226db60ec423.jpg

My sps has been growing very slowly, some dying very slowly.

Finally coming to terms with the fact that a pair of kessil A360we is not enough for a 36x36x30 tank. I've been pricing out some t5 retrofit builds. Stumbled on a pair of 250w mh pendants for free from a local BAR member(thanks Jerry!) and I need some bulbs.

I forgot how damn expensive these bulbs are.

Anyone have some laying around?

and watch out for those electricity bills
Utility bills aren't that big of a deal. My daughters condition requires keeping the house cold since over heating, large temp swings and over exertion lower her seizure threshold so we keep the house at 76 during the summer.

Our utility district has a reduced fee for electricity use. I feel like we are abusing it having two reef tanks and hydroponics in the garage.

I also am self employed and work at home so a portion of our utilities are figured into our taxes.

I don't know much about them but since these are the first time I've seen MH pendants, I'm going to guess they are not very efficient in lumens per watt. It may be a temporary thing until I can get some t5 retrofits or another pair of Kessils.

My first tank was a 75g with two 250w mh and 4 t5.

I run the tank between 80 and 82 so I'm not too worried about the tank getting hot.

If these don't work well, I may fabricobble them into something else for the hydroponics setup, more heat in the garage during winter is better for the plants.

I always like the Plusrite 14,000K bulb, is it a high end bulb? Nah. But gives a decent color, is like $15.
I found some bulbs on ebay for about $30. Everything from 6k to 22k.

I only plan on running the mh 4 to 6 hours a day and keep the kessils running 10-12 hours at 90% most of the time. I haven't decided what spectrum bulb to get yet. A can always compensate with the kessils spectrum to get the desired look (I like 16k-18k).

I used to have 14k Phoenix bulbs with actinic and coral plus t5 and it was a good match.

Yeah I've run the gambit of bulbs, none of which have been terribly high end (i.e. Radium 20kK), my absolute best results (and this very well might not be due to only the bulbs) was Phoenix 14k in DE reflectors with I think 4 T5s (Blue Plus and actinic) retrofits. But yeah whenever I have done MH bulbs they've been on no more than 6 hours a day to simulate that "peak brightness" then T5s were on for the other 10-12 hours or so.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/aquarium-lighting
14k & 20k bulbs there for ~$15, not sure how much shipping is though.

I think before the Plusrite I used Reeflux bulbs, and want to say 12000K variant (but might have been 20000k), but I remember they were very close in color rendition to one of them. This is a decision I'll need to make in the future too, I got a bunch of IceCap 250W ballasts, although currently the bulb turns off randomly, I'm not sure if it's because it's an old bulb or the ballasts are wonky. But a 250W MH bulb in a lumenarc (or similar) reflector is super bright over a large area.

Back