High Tide Aquatics

My 40 gallon seaclear II (setup 3/1/2010)

had to downsize from a 55 reef ready tru-vu to a 40 seaclear II with built in filtration.

the tru-vu ran off metal halide (2 - 150w 14k w/ 2 - 96w pc actinics) and this tank is running 156w t-5, as far as I can tell the t-5 are brighter looking though.

EQUIPMENT/LR&LS
in this tank I have about 50lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand (guessing), super skimmer 65 w/ catalina aquarium ca1400 pump, 156w oddysea t-5 lighting, catalina aquarium ca800 behind aquascape for flow, rio 1100 for return from fuge area, 18w coralife 7200k pc over fuge.

LIVESTOCK
I have a gold bar maroon clown, hippo tang, diamond goby, about 100 snails, 1-2 blue legged hermits (amazing they are in there, not sure where they came from), 2 heads hammer, 5-6 heads frogspawn, 30+ mushrooms, 2-3 small cabbage coral, 20+ green zoos, 25+ lunar eclipse zoas and some chaeto in fuge.

ok, I think that is it, but if I remember something I will definately update it.

any comments or suggestions/questions are welcome.

pictures below

robert - eastbayreefer2010

Ya, I know the tank is way small for her but she is going to a friends tank soon, this is just temp, wish she didnt have to go.... one of my favorites :)

only reason i had to downgrade was I now live in a 2nd floor apartment and my landlord said nothing bigger than 40 because this place was built in the 30's.

thanks for the heads up and letting me get this out before the PM rush, lol.

CookieJar said:
You're definitely not shy about adding plenty of rock. :D Hope you like mushrooms- in time they'll really cover those rocks.

Ya, I like a reef look and feel, I did have a "rubble pile" for awhile until I got this tank, in a year or so I will move and get me a 180 gallon tank and wont stack it so high.

As for the mushrooms, I will probably keep some but get rid of the rest, I have seen these split like crazy the past few months I've had them.

Ok, so here is an update, I think when I transferred the sand from the 55 to the 40 I didn't rinse it enough, I had a small hair algae issue after the first week, I started dosing vodka since I started the tank and it was helping, I ran some Phosphate sponge and did a water change and I though everything was ok, then I start getting what I thought were Diatoms on my glass and sandbed/live rock, well turns out it was Dinoflagellates, I started to panic, as I had just bought new coral (I know I know, quarantine them first, but no QT tank yet :( ) Anyways, I researched for cures and treatments for this crappy algae, and now I have started to overcome it :) , I raised ALK to around 12dkh and PH to 8.4-8.55, and turned out the lights for 2 days, AS of today I have a few white splotches of dead Dino left and hope for it all to be gone soon.

New pics up soon, new corals are great looking :)

Back