Jestersix

My "Lazy Reefer" tank

SO! The mystery creature (a 4' eunicid worm) was found, and then donated to CalAcademy. We had to take the aquascape completely apart, made lots of accidental frags, got the worm out, and then put it all back together again in an afternoon. Lots of sore muscles the next day, but so worth it. After that, there was a lot of waiting for the tank to re-stabilize after the madness of last year.

At this point, parameters are solid, I've made some changes to the skimmer that reduce evap and make it skim more reliably, and I can see DAILY GROWTH in some sps. Even my ubergoni which had slowly shrunk down to shorter and shorter tentacles and gotten bleachier and bleachier over the course of the year, to the point where it looked like a neon green golfball with ZERO polyp extension is slowly recovering, polyps back up to 2" and about half colored back up. I've been restocking (too quickly) so there's definitely that "eau de frag tank" vibe happening. :) Huge thanks to Yourreef for some sweeeet deals on slightly-bleached-out acro colonies.

Between the orange spot filefish and the red sea bannerfish, I have zerrro polyp extension on the SPS, though they grow just fine. Not sure how I feel about that. I have plenty of majanos to nuke, and bubble algae to siphon, but seeing growth makes the effort worthwhile.

Some quick snapshots, not especially clean glass, but I want to document it anyway:

_MG_9312.jpg

_MG_9313.jpg

Whatever this thing is (some sort of porites I assume) it's my new favorite. It's beginning to turn some sort of neon purple/red color w/green polyps.

_MG_9327.jpg

Wow, I love that porites too. It really look like a wild strawberry! I am a sucker for reds and purples. My only porites is a green/brown with white dots that encrusts like crazy. It's also my best phosphate detector--brown equals phosphates.

Back