Neptune Aquatics

My rock background.

Just thought I'd share a picture of my rock background that I finished before yesterday for my 28 gallon nano. All rocks were zip tied to the egg crate and all the nooks and crannies were filled with epoxy and silicone. The PVC tubing is for an Eel. :D There will be a total of 5 feet of tubing if you take it apart and line it up. Here are several pictures. Tell me what you think!
98yav8.jpg

of0wo7.jpg

2mh7mo2.jpg

24mx2dx.jpg

104gfgp.jpg

x1c3l4.jpg

2f0d56x.jpg

294iefr.jpg

Well, there is 5 feet of PVC tubing total in the nano tank. I used 6 sticks of epoxy, 4 tubes of silicone, and about 10 or so lb of live rock. The background weighed a total of 14 lb in the end, that's with epoxy, silicone, PVC, live rock and such. 4 tubes of silicone cost $5 a tube, epoxy was $6 a stick and live rock can be found at about $2 lb, so, total was about $76 not including PVC and egg crate. I'll take a FTS of the nano once the water clears up a bit. Water is still cloudy.

Very nice. Cant wait to see pics with the eel. What kind are you going to get? What else besides an eel is going in?

Hey Moses,
Interesting project. Be sure to keep a 5 lb weight on the top of that aquarium or your eel will be bench pressing it in front of the hinge. :)
Given a 1/2 slit and he/she'll be high jumping over the edge. Keep the camera rolling! :glasses:
BTW, any chance that's a picture of a family member as your icon? heheheh

screebo said:
Hey Moses,
Interesting project. Be sure to keep a 5 lb weight on the top of that aquarium or your eel will be bench pressing it in front of the hinge. :)
Given a 1/2 slit and he/she'll be high jumping over the edge. Keep the camera rolling! :glasses:
BTW, any chance that's a picture of a family member as your icon? heheheh
Thanks! I know, my aquarium light/hood is on top of the net cover. :)
lol No. Her name is Gisele Bundchen.

Here is a picture of my net cover. :)
174vu8.jpg

augrd3.jpg

nice build....have you managed to get your ribbon eel to eat? I had one way back and the only thing it would take was live food. small peps and camel shrimp got expensive and were hard to find at such small sizes.

finalphaze987 said:
nice build....have you managed to get your ribbon eel to eat? I had one way back and the only thing it would take was live food. small peps and camel shrimp got expensive and were hard to find at such small sizes.
Thanks! I don't have the Eel yet, but I did find one that eats live ghost shrimp. Not sure if it eats frozen yet.

Nice build!!!!

Small hijack: Does anyone think or know if the undersand PVC as shown would work with pearly jawfish in a nano?

-Gregory

GDawson said:
Nice build!!!!

Small hijack: Does anyone think or know if the undersand PVC as shown would work with pearly jawfish in a nano?

-Gregory

Thanks!!

IMO it would work. Will look cooler if you glue small pieces of live rock rubble around the PVC entrance so it can look more cave like.

Well, got a bit of bad news. Tank isn't doing so hot. Tank had a pretty bad bacteria bloom and one of my jumbo sized cleaner shrimps died today. :( Cleaner shrimp body was 3 inches long, or 6-7 inches long with the antennas. Corals are pissed off but fish are doing fine. Did a 14 gallon water change this morning, going to do another water change either tonight or tomorrow morning. My guess would be that the rock background was the cause of the bacteria bloom. I used live rock, but had to let it sit dry for 24 hours for the silicone to dry. Not a good idea to use live rock... lol Lesson learned. It should clear up within a few days and everything should go back to normal.

Didn't you just do your rock wall 2 days ago? If you've got another tank that you had your livestock in prior to moving it over I'd move it back before it all dies. I would of given that tank some time doing very heavy regular water changes and testing until everything setteled down before moving livestock into the tank. IME, WAY too fast bro...

Agreed on that, silicon can dry to the touch in a few hours still, curing time is way different; bet the other stuff you used too, has to cure?
Get the livestock out and wait for the rock wall completely cure with no water then as any new tank, let it cycle.

Back