Reef nutrition

My shrimp are getting it on!

I was feeding yesterday & noticed one of my peppermint shrimp looked different and started paying attention till it came out to feed and low & behold it had a ton of eggs around it's legs, just clusters & clusters.

This was a pretty surprising find haha, I don't plan on breeding shrimp but what's going to happen now? a bunch of free coral food? if I wanted to save the babies would I simply remove shrimp & place in QT?

Pic for reference (random pic off the web) my shrimp looks exactly like this one right now

attachment.php

Congrats!! How many of these shrimps do you have?! I wonder if the eggs are fertilized?! Are shrimps eggs also called "roe" like fish eggs?! (tobiko sushi - yum - just kidding!)

Oh you actually keep peppermint shrimp in your tank?

Don't they steal food from corals? My last one started eating my trochus snails. He'd grab them and pull them into his cave and eat them.

Hey guys, I have a total of 3 peppermint shrimp which are very fat & happy, they swim upside down all the way to the surface & eat till they almost pop and they do this every time I sprinkle any food on the tank. I don't think they bother my corals but I can't be 100% sure since I have lost tiny amounts of coral overnight a hand full of times but it could be a number of other culprits so I'm not pinning it on them just yet.

I have no idea what caused this to happen, had these guys for a few months & this is the first time I see eggs...

Both my pepermints and my cleaner shrimp have been going at it for a while now in the 60. I had babies that made it and were growing very slowly under the frag rack until the Copperband found them. Haven't seen but one or two of the babies since. The shrimp almost always have eggs everytime I think to check so I assume it's just becoming free fish and coral food now

I wish I had the extra time on my hands, for a while now I've been very curious about raising pepps to eat aiptasia and possibly breed them for it in the process. I've trained a few pepps to eat aiptasia before but never had them reproduce. I imagine isolating them would then drastically increase the chance of offspring surviving also feeding them aiptasia early on would have an affect on their appetite for them in the future.

The ones I have now have to be starved before they really decide they want to eat the aiptasia.

Back