Reef nutrition

My slacker turbos

Bummer about the turbos. But not required for a tank. Big bulldozers anyway.

Regarding the Mg:
Are you dosing any in 2-part, calcium-reactor, etc?
Is your salt very high in Mg?
Only real way to eliminate it is water changes and/or time.
But not a big concern.

Bummer about the turbos. But not required for a tank. Big bulldozers anyway.

Regarding the Mg:
Are you dosing any in 2-part, calcium-reactor, etc?
Is your salt very high in Mg?
Only real way to eliminate it is water changes and/or time.
But not a big concern.
Nope, I haven't been dosing. It is possible that the salt is high in mg but it is IO Sea Salt, not particularly known for having high mg. Thankfully, it was only the turbos that were affected and not all inverts.

Nope, I haven't been dosing. It is possible that the salt is high in mg but it is IO Sea Salt, not particularly known for having high mg. Thankfully, it was only the turbos that were affected and not all inverts.
What it is known for is inconsistency in their batches. I agree with @rygh that elevated mg isn’t normally that big a deal. Obviously if it’s high enough to be killing your snails then it’s too high but it will slowly be used up by your tank. Otherwise the only way I am aware of to bring it down is to dilute it with water changes. You can mix some up and test it before adding it to make sure that the new batch doesn’t actually have more in it.

Yes, Regular IO is usually not high in Mg, and it is fairly consistent.
In fact, I usually add Mg when I mix up IO. So I would be very surprised if the Mg came from there.
IO Reef Crystals has had its share of complaints though.

+1 on mixing a fresh batch and testing that.

You also might want to take a sample to LFS for testing, or borrow a nearby members test kit.
The reagents do go bad.

Back