Cali Kid Corals

Name a Fast Growing Branching Coral

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Need suggestions for a new class project to model designs to grow out frags for reef restoration. We might try to set up a couple model designs with suspended frags in our 105g reef tank. But what fast-growing branching coral could we use? Montipora digitata comes to mind, but there may be monti-eating nudibranchs in there - no idea. I might try it anyway.
Other options? Birdsnest? Caribbean staghorn, I think Acropora cervicornis? Pocillopora?
I was thinking we could substitute a soft coral just because it could grow faster and be hardy. But I do not want Kenya tree buds broadcasted throughout our tank.
Just now thought of going with plating coral instead of branching - frag up our Hollywood Stunner that is the size of a basketball with multiple leaflike plates.
Coral suggestions? (Note: This will not be a serious scientific test, just an experience to go along with their mariculture ideas.)

Old school thin branched acropora and brown. Fasted growing coral I ever had, had light blue tips and always hoped it would color up more but nope, stayed mostly brown the light blue tips never got bigger but man it grew like crazy. I felt bad when I eventually pulled it out of the tank in my "no more brown in the tank decree"

As mentioned above, both the green slimer (A. yongei) and blue tip stag (A. loisettae) would be good alternatives if you or the kids can keep parameters stable. A. cervicornis might be harder to locate, not because it's rare, but rather because it's bland looking and not sure if anyone is bringing any in these days. Out of the three, I think the blue tip stag was the fastest growing one that I've kept, where I could literally see it grow on a daily basis.

Birdnest, Seriatopora would be a good starter as well. With the frag swap coming up, you should have no difficulty finding lots of the green branching variety similar to previous years.

Pocillopora would work too in theory, but I dislike the fact that it could go sexual on you and you end up with trying to find ways to get rid of it (or having to redo the tank). Cats paw, Stylopora sp., would be a better alternative without the issue mentioned for Pocillopora IMO.

Maureen, birdsnest (Seriatopora) is a great option. Not only fast growing but hardy too. I also agree with the other advice given.

I have 2 large pink birdsnest colonies and was thinking of selling/giving 1 away to make space. You can have it for free if you want. Plus I’m nearby.

Back