Reef nutrition

Neptune WAV magnet thickness?

Chromis

Supporting Member
Does anyone happen to know, for Neptune WAV wavemakers, how thick the back of tank magnet is? I can’t find this online.
692e117457da19c87ff36db30a71301a.jpg

Also, has anyone used both MP40 and Neptune power heads and what was your opinion of them?

Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know, for Neptune WAV wavemakers, how thick the back of tank magnet is? I can’t find this online.
692e117457da19c87ff36db30a71301a.jpg

Also, has anyone used both MP40 and Neptune power heads and what was your opinion of them?

Thanks!
I just measured and they extend out 1/2”.

I’ve used the mp10 (not the quiet one) and the WAVs. I really liked the program ability of the WAVs. It took like 4 mins to set them up. They are really quiet although I don’t know in comparison to the quiet mp40s. Mp40s are not directional like the WAVs either. I’ve heard the flow is more focused than the WAVs. It’s also nice that the WAVs plug into the one link instead of taking another AC plug outlet. No wires in the tank isn’t a big deal to me but is for other people. IMO the biggest reason to go mp40 is easier maintenance. The dry side doesn’t need anything done to it so it’s just the wet side that needs cleaning. I’ve heard of guys that buy a second set of wet sides so they can pop off one and put the other one on while they soak and clean it.

Last edited:
Thanks @Flagg37 that’s super helpful. Now that I realized my MP10 won’t work on the 5/8” glass of my new tank I’m looking at buying two new pumps vs adding one MP40 - I’m now leaning toward the WAVs.

For your tank, 2 WAVs maybe too much.

We have a Red Sea Reefer 170 in the office running 1 WAV and the max it is set to is 30% on pulse for 1 hr. Just to stir stuff up. Other times, 11-15%. Tank is full SPS. Small colonies.

If you have fine sand it maybe an issue. They push a lot of water.

On smaller tanks, be prepared to mount them on the back wall and pointed to the side in order to defuse the flow.

Which Apex do you have? If you have the new 2016 model, you just need the WAV. You will not need the 1Link module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s gonna be for her Reefer 450, 5 foot tank. Sps dominant I think. I think 2 wavs would be appropriate...though I am partial to the vortechs myself, and have two extra wet sides as previously mentioned. Having to clean the entire pump is such a pain that realistically you just won’t do it as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back