Reef nutrition

New Crazy Addition: Fire Anemone

I've ben hit by lions dozen plus times and none of them hurt that bad... and I never did anything for them. I've had foxface hurt far worse but no where close to getting nailed by a local rockfish in the leg. Lions aren't deadly unless you're allergic to them. If you are, it's like a bee sting allergy, you're throat closes up, etc.

Apon said:
Do you have a Will made out? Can I have some of corals incase that things reaches up and sucks you in? : )

That would be a Twilight Zone moment.
I can hear Rod Sterling now " His passion sucked him in to the depths of oblivion... will you be the next victim of the fire anemone? "

I don't think it will ever make it into my display. I'm going to keep him in the 5 gallon tank plumbed off of Bonnie's tank. This guy doesn't play well with others. I am seriously thinking about putting a small mantis into the tank with him though.

I will never want to clean the tank from the inside.

On a side note: This anemone is doing really well. He's big, approximately 9"-10" across. At first I couldn't figure out how to feed him, because the majority of his tentacles aren't sticky. Mysis would just drop off him. At night, however, he extends this crazy purple center stalk with small stringy tentacles that are very sticky. I fed him mysis on those tentacles and he totally eats it up.

GreshamH said:
FWIW I've been hit and it didn't really phase me as much as some other things, but, that just means I am not sensitive to them :) Ditto with lions, fire coral and scorpions. Never had the urge to handle blue rings though :lol:

The divers with the burns hit them diving, they weren't handling them. I suspect they'll loose some potency in aquaria as well.

Out of curiousity, Gresham, why do you think it will lost potency in aquaria? Is this a common trend in other venemous/toxic species?

... maybe I can pet him in a few more months. :)

Some animals get their toxicity from what they feed on. IME anemones over time seem to be less potent >to me< it terms of sting. I'm just speculating as to why though. And again, it's just something I've seen. Not sure if it hold up to true science :)

Eight said:
I don't think it will ever make it into my display. I'm going to keep him in the 5 gallon tank plumbed off of Bonnie's tank. This guy doesn't play well with others. I am seriously thinking about putting a small mantis into the tank with him though.

I will never want to clean the tank from the inside.

On a side note: This anemone is doing really well. He's big, approximately 9"-10" across. At first I couldn't figure out how to feed him, because the majority of his tentacles aren't sticky. Mysis would just drop off him. At night, however, he extends this crazy purple center stalk with small stringy tentacles that are very sticky. I fed him mysis on those tentacles and he totally eats it up.

Great thinking. That critter will make an interesting aside next to Bonnie's set up too. Mantis Shrimp, love em but scared to have one in my system.

Back