Reef nutrition

NiNeX's 86 Gal

Hardware
86 gallon glass display tank (48 x 18 x 23)
25 gallon acrylic sump (30 x 12 x 16)
Dual CPR CS90 Overflows
Mag 9.5 return
Koralia 3 & 4
Octopus Skimmer RPS1000
2 - Two Little Fishes reactors (Running ROWA and carbon)
DIY denitrator coil
Neptune AquaController 3 with temp, pH, and ORP probes
PFO Dual HQI 250w Ballast powering two XM 20k single ended bulb in lumenarc 3 mini reflectors
Icecap 660 Ballast driving 2 48" T5 UV Super Actinics
DIY stand, made it extra tall for easier viewing.
7 stage RODI from thefilterguys

Fish Stocking
2 - Ocelaris Clowns
2 - Bengali Carbinals
2 - Barnacle Blennys
2 - Wrasse
1 - Peppermint Shrimp

Coral Stocking / PAR lighting level
Dragon Eye Zoa - 400
Blue Paly - 320
Pipe Organ - 380
Ultra Green Star Polyp - 350
Hammer - 350
Assorted Mushroom - 300 ~350
Assorted Ricordia - 300

Parameters
Am/Ni/Na - 0
PO4 - 0
Ca - 440ppm
Alk - 10dKh
Mg - 1450ppm
Temp - 78 ~ 79

20090113_setup.jpg

20090113_tank.jpg

20090113_sump.jpg

Hang on Tank Overflow
I originally setup the tank with a single overflow. The setup was very noisy and carried a large risk of making a big flood if the siphon were to ever stop. What I ended up doing to resolve the noise and to alleviate some of my stress was to glue two overflows together, and then cut out the drain portion of the two overflows so that the drain side would be one large area.

This allowed me to use a dual durso setup, one in a full siphon, regulated by a ball valve, and the second one acting as a standard drain, this resulted in no drain noise. It also let me keep redundant overflows from the tank so that if one siphon were to stop I would not flood my house.

External Skimmer
One major issue I had was that I setup an external skimmer, and one night I set it to run a little bit too wet, this resulted in a small flood where I lost about 3 gallons into the bottom of my stand. Because the bottom of the stand was attached and water had gotten under it, I had to take the skill saw to my newly build stand in order to dry up the water. This prompted me to get a controller for my system. I now have the skimmer setup so that if it were to overflow again, it will set off a flood sensor in a container, the controller will then cut the feed pump and send me a text message to my phone. (You can still see in the photo above where I sliced into the floor of the stand, I do have a new one that is waiting to be installed)

Mesh wheel mod for skimmer
Since the skimmer was not performing as well as I would have liked I have performed the mess wheel mod to it. So far it has been 6 months without any issues, it is foaming up much better then when I had originally purchased it.

Back