Our mission

NOOB Needing Help: Drilling 40Br Overflow/20L sump

hey yeah Justin. they are lagging a bit on the overflow. I'm definitely not in a rush though. I am actually debating if I will drill the 40br still or bump up to an 80g or so once I move out by next summer.

ahhhh damn. im caught in a huge dilemma. I really want to build up the 40br as a new project but of course it will cost over 1k in additional expenses... I figured I will be living at home for atleast the next year while i get situated to move out. Although it would be awesome to watch a tank grow, I know that when the time comes, moving it will be a complete PITA... It sucks too because I have the overflow as well so itll just sit there unless I sell it.. :( dilemmas.

Since you don't yet have a move planned, you could start the tank and keep it simple as far as stocking goes. Then again, there's nothing wrong with waiting. It's not like the tank or overflow will spoil

Justin (San Francisco),
sent from tapatalk

If you think you'll be moving in a year, don't bother with a reef tank. Things take a long time to get settled in and grow out. You'll be happier if you save your money and set up a reef in yor new place in a year.

I guess it all depends upon where you're moving. I tore down a tank I really like before moving from Texas to California. It's not at all easy to move tanks, even tiny ones, very far. Now if you're moving down the street, you might be able to do it with much effort and some damage/loss of life. I waited until I was in a stable living situation here in the bay to start working on my new setup, and I am glad I did cause moving a half mile from Berkeley to Oakland was hard enough without having to worry about killing all my pets.

Good point. Texas is not like moving within the Bay Area. Guess I shouldn't assume how far he will be moving. Anything under a few hours is no big deal IMO.

I just bumped my 20g long onto my 40br stand. Probably going to sell my new overflow kit... A shame too because I really like it but have no need for it.

Journal to follow really soon :)

Back