Neptune Aquatics

Okay -- pick apart my plan....

Note:
If I were to buy an algae scrubber, I think I would use turboaquatics.
https://www.turbosaquatics.com
I was pretty pro-scrubber for many years, and that really seems to be one of the best out there.

The problem in my opinion : Be warned waterfall scrubbers work a bit too well.
I went away from that because it was really stripping the nutrients from my system, and starving the corals.
But if you get a tiny one, might make sense.

I am a bit concerned that the Algae Scrubber isn't "closed" and since there's no sump that it may be an issue in case of failure. You think I'm better off with a Reactor again in this system?

Plumb an Algae Scrubber and a UV sterilizer in a closed loop with a canister filter. The canister filter will hold chemipure and carbon, but not filter material that can build up nitrates, etc. It also acts as a closed pump to rerun the water into the rear of the AIO.
I see a potential problem here. If your canister pump is too strong, I could see the rear compartment gradually filling up and overflowing the rear compartment.

Loop needs to run from rear section of AIO back to the same rear section.
Either totally enclosed and pressurized.
Or up into canopy a bit, and gravity fed back to same location.

So you could do:
Bulkhead -> pipe down into stand -> pump -> canister -> uv -> pipe up into canopy -> scrubber -> gravity fed to tank

There's no canopy. So am I better off then with: Bulkhead -> pipe down into stand -> uv -> sealed algae reactor -> canister with pump back into rear chamber?

There's no canopy. So am I better off then with: Bulkhead -> pipe down into stand -> uv -> sealed algae reactor -> canister with pump back into rear chamber?

Theoretically.

The old fresh water canister filters have built in valves, with a lot of engineering thought in them,
so when you take them out for cleaning, it is easy, with no spills.
I don't know of any algae reactors like that.

Idea:
What if you took an old ehiem standard canister filter, cut out one or two sides and replace with clear plastic.
Put LEDs facing in, and grow Chaeto inside.

What are the chambers of the actual tank being used for? Can you convert one to a scrubber (somehow) or use it in place of the canister filter?

I’m starting to be convinced from this thread that UV sterilizers are good. After coralline has already covered your rocks. But isn’t it killing something good in the water stream that corals or filter feeders like to feed on? Where does all that dead algae/bacteria/baby snails/baby pods go after they get blasted by the UV?

I’m starting to be convinced from this thread that UV sterilizers are good. After coralline has already covered your rocks. But isn’t it killing something good in the water stream that corals or filter feeders like to feed on? Where does all that dead algae/bacteria/baby snails/baby pods go after they get blasted by the UV?

Phyto heaven?

Remember: Those algae/bacteria you kill do not reproduce, and that is as important as killing.
So you kill one generation, they die and end up as coral food or in skimmer.
The next generation is then greatly reduced.

So yes, you are reducing the free floating algae food supply to corals. Unfortunate.
But it does not increase detritus by having UV blasted dead things floating around.

Back