Reef nutrition

old dbtc - anyone remember what this means?

This suggestion may be more work for you, but since you asked: Perhaps we should make the full DBTC section only accessible to Supporting Members and then provide some sort of splash page for Guests. The splash page would only have the coral name and a photo and wouldn't have member contact information..

I think this is what we had in the previous website, no? I think there are add-ons that @denzil can setup to do this.
Maybe we should start a thread on this to get some more opinions?

I think this is what we had in the previous website, no? I think there are add-ons that @denzil can setup to do this.
Maybe we should start a thread on this to get some more opinions?

I think Guests were blocked entirely from seeing the DBTC thread on the old site. I think they just got a message that you had to be a member to access the information when they tried to click on that section, but that's just my memory from when I wasn't a member, which was long enough ago that I wouldn't call it terribly reliable.

I'm replacing all our switches at work tonight, but sometime this week I'll look for a plug-in to add a teaser/splash page to see what's available. We can add it to the list of plug-ins and Denzil can review it if he wants to check for potential conflicts.

Yeah, the old site used to not allow guests to view the threads in DBTC at all. However, it's not really an encouraging program if you don't exactly know what you're missing out on. Of course, we entirely rely on the honor system and for the DBTC members to participate appropriately, including verifying that who they're giving to are Supporting Members. However, if the onus isn't on the person giving the frag(s), then our system is just failing to human error.

No only should all participating members be honest but they should also be responsible if we want the program to work as intended. We can't always build tooling to a human problem. :p

Some DBTC "donors" may not renew their membership for whatever reason (such as financial difficulties) and may return at a later date but in the interim, they can't contribute or participate at all or follow along to see how their corals are doing?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's contingency of the program, regardless of if you're a donor or recipient. Guests still have access to viewing the DBTC threads, they just can't participate in them.

Back