Reef nutrition

Open top friendly fish

I gave up trying to make heads or tales on RC searches for this, so I turn to the peanut gallery here :p

New Elos 70 will be open top and i have no desire to run a Net.

Currently, I have a Foxface, B/W clown, Royal Gramma, Tail Spot Blenny, and two Shark noise Gobies. None of them have ever jumped in my current open top. Looking to add a little more to the new tank once it is setup and stable. I have only had two jumpers so far (wrasses...no surprise). I know all fish have the ability to be jumpers but some are likely know to be more open top safe than others.

Any suggestions? I prefer smaller fish to larger, and also like if they have some utility.

I know banghai cardinals dont jump. On the other note my jawfish was a super jumper. Used to jump out, hit t5 bulbs and dive back again with a big bang noise ;-)

Oh Oh get a wrasse....

No NO get a school of anthias

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO get an eel.

Eels are so cool :)

You can also put a plate of glass under the water line so it looks open top but the fish cant jump out. And then put some live rock on top of the glass and it could be like a floating island with a mangrove sprout.

Hey mine are perfectly honest answers *if* this was like the other forums :D

nudibranch said:
How about a Bearsharktopus. Tuberider do you still have any?

Ask and ye shall receive :D

bearsharktopus.jpg

Bonus!

dt8L42nsypzfdq5zFVSc9v69o1_400.png

Bears with flame throwers riding an great white riding a unicorn while getting tubed, really does it get any better...

Serious response:

I had my canary blenny jump out of my tank when I spooked him by putting my hand in the tank. He landed behind the tank in a hard to reach spot and stuck to the hardwood floor. I think he must have knocked himself out cause he wasnt moving when I was trying to scrape him off the floor. I finally got him picked up when he started flopping around. Threw him back in the tank and he has been fine ever since. Now I am a little more careful about where he is before I dive in.

The only wrasse that I haven't had a problem with jumping is the six line wrasse. Probably my favorite fish too, work great at eating flatworms, pyramidellid snails (clam parasites) and sometimes bristle worms. I think it would be easier to find fish you like and then find out if they are jumpers.

Not touching the Sixline part (my thoughts on that are well expressed over umpteen threads here). I'd go the "cryptic wrasse" over a Sixline. But yah, neither are big jumpers alone. If you have a tank full like at a wholesaler or LFS they do become jumpers for that period.

GreshamH said:
Not touching the Sixline part (my thoughts on that are well expressed over umpteen threads here). I'd go the "cryptic wrasse" over a Sixline. But yah, neither are big jumpers alone. If you have a tank full like at a wholesaler or LFS they do become jumpers for that period.

Does this forum have a search? Mind paraphrasing your thoughts on the sixline for me since I haven't seen your previous posts? And why the cryptic over the sixline?

Sixlines tend to become major bullies to fish even @ 5x their size. They also become possessive of a tank and won't allow new additions.

Cryptics are just a little more shy and never bully a thing. It's like a good version of a sixline with a little less color but bigger cooler eyes.

Cryptics are the new Sixlines :lol:

r0ck0 said:
GreshamH said:

Does this forum have a search? Mind paraphrasing your thoughts on the sixline for me since I haven't seen your previous posts? And why the cryptic over the sixline?

have to use google... bareefers.org sixline

they tend to be aggressive. though i'm 50/50 so far

Back