Cali Kid Corals

opinions on calcium reactors please

JRocha

Supporting Member
I am thinking about purchasing a calcium reactor for my tank. the display is a custom 240 gallon and a custom 125 gallon sump/refugium. I believe the system is a total of 300 gallons but could be wrong. I have been using B-ionic for about 2 years now and I work really early in the mornings and am getting real tired of having to dose everyday. so what I would like an opinion on is what would be a great calcium reactor that would be rated for my tank and a dependable system. i have a lot of expensive corals and do not want to kill them. Money is not too much of an issue. I am willing to pay the cost for a great system so I don't have to pay for 2 systems. I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for. I have gone cheap on multiple pieces of equipment in the past and have had to buy the expensive equipment in the long run cause the cheap stuff sucks. In other words I don't want to end up buying 2 calcium reactors. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance. If you have a big system over 200 plus gallons your advice would be the most useful. thanks again.

I don't have recommendations about specific brands but I way prefer a calcium reactor over two part. With my calcium reactor, calcium never drifts relative to alkalinity and I can go a long long time without so much as touching it.

Although I don't have a big system have gone trough postings here and there; seems GEO and MRC dual chamber reactors are solid investments. Korallin seem to be pretty popular but the smaller C1501/02 would be within the limits of your system so the 3002 would be more suitable.

Jaime - I have a geo 624 that I'm selling - I'd be willing to let you give it a test run if that would make sense for you. I ran it on my 180 sps + 60g fuge/sump. Its a large reactor that can handle a big tank.

-Kyle

i looked up the geo 624 but it didnt say much on what tank size it can go up to. just says for large sps tanks. not very detailed considering some people think 100 gallons is large when really its not. trust me 100 gallons was the size of my first reef tank and was way too small for any cool fish. tang wise. sorry if I offended anybody with that comment but my 240 is still too small. i want a 500 or 600 gallon. that would be a reasonable size for me. just cant afford it at the time, but it will happen one day.

I run a geo 618. Love it. Easy to tune and rock stable. Kyle's 624 should be fine for you. I don't think I am even close to pushing the 618 on my 180.

sweet. i know we are not supposed to sell on this so if you want to talk prices you can call my cell at 650 515 5095.

Back