Our mission

Pairing clowns

CaptainB

Supporting Member
I have a standard orange ocellaris in my frag tank who I never moved over to my new 110g display. He's ~2" but pretty tough, I've had him a few years.

In my display I have a slightly smaller and wimpier black domino clown that's been in there a month or so to get established.

All fish are different but is this likely to be ok if I introduce the old clown into the foreign system or do I need an acclimation box to test run? Will an acclimation box even tell me anything if the more likely aggressor is the one inside it?

I don't need them to actually pair and breed or whatever, just don't kill eachother.

It's a 110 gallon, pretty good size and spacious. I had 4 clowns in my 100g introduced at various time..they live in harmony.

If removal is required, I used a fish trap.

There is almost always some initial aggression. I would put it into the tank and be ready to watch a few hours, and if need be, remove the smaller one.
Alright thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. Any reason to specifically remove the smaller one? I'd just remove whichever I could catch.

Somewhat related, in a 4x2 tank I can do two gobies ya? I have a Randall's but want to add an aurora/flagtail also.

Which ever you can catch sounds like a solid plan to me.

The reasoning on the smaller is it'll be a little beat up. Flipside, there's an argument for leaving it and not stressing it more.

In my experience, clowns are pretty easy to catch with a net... especially if they're really focused on beating each other up.

I catched my clown with a net super easily. But they live in my anename area, they don't really go anywhere else.
Also, I had 2 pairs that were fighting in the beginning for like a week, not really bad but they were okay. After that no issues.

Added tonight they seem fine. No chasing or anything.

Tomini tang tried to stab the flame hawk though. Hopefully he gets over it.
PXL_20221229_054408369.jpg

Back