Reef nutrition

Paradox's 150 Cuttle Farm Army Reef

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2920.msg36279#msg36279 date=1204690157]
My turbo snails can solve partial differential equations.
[/quote]See this is what I'm talking about my stomatellas just finished "The Dancing Wu Li Masters", and decided for fun "Elementary Differential Equations" would be a good book. They just don't jive with Fear and Loathing, I don't get it....

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2920.msg36282#msg36282 date=1204690881]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2920.msg36279#msg36279 date=1204690157]
My turbo snails can solve partial differential equations.
[/quote]See this is what I'm talking about my stomatellas just finished "The Dancing Wu Li Masters", and decided for fun "Elementary Differential Equations" would be a good book. They just don't jive with Fear and Loathing, I don't get it....
[/quote]

Pssh, when your snails get to nuclear physics like my copepods then we'll talk :D

Jim's old abalone was smart as a button though. It could beg for food. Did I mention it could beg for food? It begged :lol:

I've got a quote out for a custom size tank that's a bit larger than the current, but total volume on the system is still shy of it. No room for a tank like your's either, Norman. :D

How often do you have to feed these suckers anyways? I've always been interested in cephs, but have always steered away from them due to their requirements.

Except I can actually put something in mine w/out requiring a fourth dimension.

I actually got a quote for a 10 gallon custom acrylic. I can actually hit 14.25 gallons with that tied into the sump. Anyone have pico cuttle frags? :p

With my current food choices, they grow before your eyes. Literally.

They convert an amazingly large percentage of thier food into bio mass. From a 1/4" hatchling, they can reach 3-4 times that size in 1 month.

Is there any way to slow down their growth rate, other than for dropping the tank temperatures and therefore their metabolism?

I wouldn't mind something that stays at like 2" for 6 months or so and then get rid of it. How the heck are you guys keeping up w/their dietary demands also since they eat live until (and if) they convert to frozen? Can't do an octopus; tank is open top.

Hey eric, growth rate can be slowed from the amount you feed or what you feed, but that might make them less healthy.

In the first month of feeding, it can be pricey to maintain live mysids, but Im also used to having many mouths to feed. I would think 1 or 2 wouldnt be too pricey. Thats if you can keep your mysids alive the whole time though.

Ive been borrowing a camera from a friend and have been taking a lot of new pictures. A few interesting ones from the last week.

Its Coming Right at me!
PICT0092.jpg

Face Sucker
PICT0094.jpg

I feed them with a fishing line attached to a skewer of shrimps
PICT0122.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

PICT0175.jpg

I believe these eggs are not viable
PICT0182.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

and if your internet connection hasnt slowed to a crawl yet loading all these pictures, heres a few more!
PICT0046.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

Mating
PICT0053.jpg

Mating from behind =)
PICT0058.jpg

Thanks man. Im looking forward to seeing how your new tank turns out. Its exciting building a new tank. My 150 is pretty much complete. Im not used to not having any projects to do. It almost makes me want to rebuild things ive already built to a nicer and better quality.

Feeding with the fishing line works great actually. I used fishing line, got a chunk of aquamed (used as weight) molded it around the end of the fishing line and a toothpick and viola, I have a shrimp skewer. I didnt want to have to use feeding tongs since that require me standing on a chair and holding it and positioning it throught the tank. Plus theres a chance I might drop the shrimp and it willl go uneaten somewhere. With these skewers, I just have a bunch of them tied to a metal ring that hangs outside of my tank. When I need to feed. I skewer each of the lines with shrimp, hook the Ring to this mount on the lip of my tank, which drops the shrimp in. Once they are all done, I unhook the ring and it pulls all the skewers to the top and out of site. No lost shrimp, and no trying to feed each one with a stick!

Heres an update....

Ive got Cuttlefish eggs galore. Over 100! Its still uncertain if they will hatch. A mystery with breeding cephs in captivity has been thier incredibly dismall hatch rate. In some of the eggs, I can see a developing cuttle, so we will see in the weeks to come. Pictures to come soon.

In the meantime, I made this quick video showing the Passing Cloud Display that cuttlefish do. Also, you can see some of my corals in it hah.

Back