Reef nutrition

Parasites?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
We got this Chromis recently and it looks like his skin is being eaten. What is this? Should we remove him from the tank?

ea98a07d89a33497294607f25da50efa.jpg
d1b8bf3c7ea8cbb718340b78d7aa9297.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard of that, lots of chromis getting disease at the wholesaler that leaves that red on their sides, and it's one of those thing that wholesalers just can't be bothered to treat it on a fish that they probably sell for $2 each.

chloroquine phosphate in a hospital tank should help out. You can get it in a product called Ick Shield (it's not ich though)

Uronema marinum

"Uronema marinum is a saltwater parasite that can prove fatal for marine fish. The parasites behind the disease are ciliated protozoa that live freely in marine environments. "

Here's a good write up.

Something to be concerned about though. Since it looks like the fish is in your display
These are the red sores most often seen on chromis damsels; however it can afflict any fish.
There is no fallow period for Uronema. Once a tank has Uronema, it must be assumed that the disease can survive in there almost indefinitely.

We got them from live aquaria on Wednesday. I didn’t notice the issue initially but it has gotten much worse. Sadly we didn’t have a quarantine tank (we do now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back