High Tide Aquatics

Peter's Garage Tank

Got a call from the wife this morning that the electricity was shut down. I had to ask her "did you pay the bill?". You know this time of year is a little frantic and sometimes things get overlooked. Well she checked and we hadn't forgotten to pay it. Turns out PGE had a scheduled maintenance on our line (would have been nice if they gave us a little heads up) I was in the middle of a job so I had Peter unplug the ATO in case the overflow didn't start the siphon, we wouldn't pollute the tank with 5 gallons of Kalk. The garage was really cold but the tanks are covered with a lot of styrofoam. I got home just before we got power (after a 4 hour outage). The reef came on and the overflow worked like a charm. It doesn't look like anything is dying but I would guess it may take a day or two to see any negative effects. All the fish are out and about including the 2 Yellow Coris we picked up yesterday. Also, prior to today the water flow from the skimmer seemed a little slow, but after the outage there is a lot more water flowing through it.
Cheers! Mark

4 hours isn’t bad. That’s my threshold for taking action. Your biggest concern should be gas exchange. That’s why people get the battery backup for their powerheads. The temperature can drop quite a bit (I think somewhere in the low 60’s) before there’s any issue.

4 hours isn’t bad. That’s my threshold for taking action. Your biggest concern should be gas exchange. That’s why people get the battery backup for their powerheads. The temperature can drop quite a bit (I think somewhere in the low 60’s) before there’s any issue.
Yeah, I think I will pick up a 12 volt live bait pump from Bass Pro Shops that I can run on an old car battery.

Yeah, I think I will pick up a 12 volt live bait pump from Bass Pro Shops that I can run on an old car battery.
That would do the trick but it’s best if you have something that can sense when the power turns off and then be able to switch automatically to battery so that if you’re not around when it happens you’re covered. That being said, I only have the manual kind.

No news today, just some pictures
ReefRaft Aussie Gold Acro
image.jpeg

Miami Orchid Acro
image.jpeg

Miyagi Tort
image.jpeg

That second photo looks like it was fish-photo bombed!
That Christmas Wrasse always follows my hands. Whenever I am moving something, she is right there waiting for a pod to attack. When I clean the glass with a blade, she is right there eating whatever comes off the glass.

Very odd! Walked in and looked at peters 29 gallon tank and his big brittle star looks to be ripped apart. One leg is on one side of the tank in the body with three legs is on the other side of the tank. It appears very much alive including the single leg that is just laying there but still moving.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

No Harlequin Shrimp. Current livestock:
2 Watchmen Goby
Pistol Shrimp
2 small Clowns
Black Axel Chromis
Hermits
Snails
As far as I can figure, it was self inflicted.

Do they do that?
Some do and some dont. Kinda hard to find good info. so far. It looks to be a real mess. I looked at it again and it has 2 legs, then a leg is ripped off, the another leg, and finally another ripped off leg. You can see right into the body cavity. Honestly it doesn't look too promising.

Update; it appears that one leg with part of the body disc is pulling off of the other two legs and body disc. All parts of him still seem to be alive In the picture, you can see two legs hooked into the body disc and then you can kind of see into the body disc portion that the single leg is attached to. There is also another single leg down at the bottom of the tank in the sand bed that is alive
image.jpeg

Back