Jestersix

Peter's Garage Tank

Not underwater-the torch needs air. This was just a quick test. Pulled the rock out, had Peter torch the hole and then put it back into the tank without any cleaning to see if it was effective. We can just smash the Vermatids?

Not underwater-the torch needs air. This was just a quick test. Pulled the rock out, had Peter torch the hole and then put it back into the tank without any cleaning to see if it was effective. We can just smash the Vermatids?

Yes, you can just smash vermatids - make sure to smash them real good. I'd be slightly concerned about nuking aiptasia next to zoas/palys with heat. While the chance of it occurring is probably rare, there are reports that some people have gotten sick from boiling live rock or putting hot water on rocks with zoas/palys and getting sick from palytoxin getting into the steam and them inhaling it. Not sure if putting fire to wet rock would have the same result as boiling water, but why risk it?

There were no zoas or palys close to our target. We took a breath of air, held our breath, fried for 5 seconds and walked away. I am all about safety.

Another issue is aerosolizing bacteria with high temps. Lots of potential nasties in our tanks.
Not even possible. While some bacteria can be "aerosolized" (think of coughing and Tuberculosis) they cannot be aerosolized with heat. You are more likely to breathe bacterial vapors from your protein skimmer.

Not even possible. While some bacteria can be "aerosolized" (think of coughing and Tuberculosis) they cannot be aerosolized with heat. You are more likely to breathe bacterial vapors from your protein skimmer.

From Medical Laboratory Technology Vol. 1, pg 28, Biohazard and Safety Precautions:

"Aerosolization during flame sterilization of loops and needles is a source of biological hazard."

Yep on skimmer spray as well.

The tank cleaners are hard at work today. Have not seen the Peppermint shrimp eating anything but the little crabs have been picking at the rocks and algae and eating like crazy. The Sea Hare is cruisin' around eating all the hair algae. Started breaking up the vermetids and the Arrow Crab (he is huge) is walking around with a vermetid snail in each claw. Tomorrow we will do water/filter changes on all 7 tanks and prep them all for 7 days unattended.

The tank cleaners are hard at work today. Have not seen the Peppermint shrimp eating anything but the little crabs have been picking at the rocks and algae and eating like crazy. The Sea Hare is cruisin' around eating all the hair algae. Started breaking up the vermetids and the Arrow Crab (he is huge) is walking around with a vermetid snail in each claw. Tomorrow we will do water/filter changes on all 7 tanks and prep them all for 7 days unattended.
Wow...7 tanks ?

What a lot of work. 30% water change finished on all the tanks and pumps/filters cleaned. Got all the various lights on timers and all tanks covered to slow evaporation (we don't have ATO). We will cross our fingers and let them all run on auto-pilot for the next week. We do have a gal that comes to live in our house and takes care of the cats and dog, but she knows nothing about fish/reef tanks so to make it easy we pre-portion food for each tank into daily envelopes and tape them to the glass. The garage 60g will get no food, they will have to forage. To monitor the tanks we will use an app. called Presence. It allows me to remotely access the camera on ios devices. so we have set up some old iphones and ipads near the tanks and I can at least get a visual once a day. Not perfect but it is what it is. The app. will also tell me instantly if my devices get unplugged so I plugged them into the tank power strips. This way I can know instantly if we lose power.
reef.png

Last edited:
Eventually it'll be good to develop relationships and find out who is near you. It's good to have a tank buddy to help with emergencies, etc, just in case. Good luck and have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually it'll be good to develop relationships and find out who is near you. It's good to have a tank buddy to help with emergencies, etc, just in case. Good luck and have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
BTW - The LTA that you generously gave Peter is thriving.

I'll send my number via pm for house sitter to call if she has any worries or problems etc...
Thanks Mike! Very generous offer! Knock on wood, I don't forsee any major issues. The biggest problem that we constantly face is my daughters Red Earred Slider ripping the pumps and strainers apart and then having fish getting sucked onto the powerhead and Fluval.

Back